• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

early Roman miquelet lock (a beast)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's hard to find information on early Roman miquelet locks. The Spanish variety is so much more known. This is large and early, at least first half 17th century and likely first quarter. Unfortunately, I left my SD card at home so I just have the outside picture here. I will add the inside picture later. 20190724_224109.jpg

Oh my gosh how is Chris doing?
I don't think I've seen him (except on youtube) since he at the Bigfoot shop on Gessner.

And yes, that looks like a mighty fun beast!

That is one very Interesting lock ,I am currently making a Scots snaphance . Very nice to see interest in early & archaic locks . Regards Rudyard

Stan, the Spanish miquelet escopeta locks were notorious for supposedly being able to draw sparks from quartz!
The nice thing about this and the Spanish miquelet lock, more properly called the patilla lock, is they can take almost any size flint. The cock screw is very long as you can see and pretty much any piece of flint you can get into those jaws will spark. And Flintlock 1640 is right, they are very easy to inlet and don't remove much wood from the lock area, leaving that area much stronger than English/German/French locks. A big advantage on the frontier when far from sources of repair or resupply. Plus, with that ring, you don't need any tool to firmly place the flint in the jaws. If someone told me I had to carry only one type of firearm for a year long trek in the bush, I would choose a patilla lock without hesitation. Reliable, sturdy, could probably find something on the ground to make it spark in a pinch.

Flintlock1640 that lock plate appears to be about 8" long. I will make a wild guess and say that it may have been mounted on a wall gun at one time. Thanks for posting those photos. Mike

Flintlock1640 that lock plate appears to be about 8" long. I will make a wild guess and say that it may have been mounted on a wall gun at one time. Thanks for posting those photos. Mike
Mike,
I don't know if it would be a wall gun or not. I think it would be appropriate either way. Wheellocks of the same period are often large like this. I have an early 1700s barrel that has about a 1" bore and 48" barrel that I intend to use with it when I get around to building it.
Regards
Sam

Oh my gosh how is Chris doing?
I don't think I've seen him (except on youtube) since he at the Bigfoot shop on Gessner.

And yes, that looks like a mighty fun beast!
I'm doing just fine. Still doing everything I used to and much more. I'll be around for a long time to come. :)

Back