• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Early Pietta Colt 1860 Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heelerau

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Gents, need some help please, I have a mate with an old Pietta Mod 1860 Army Colt .44, sadly needs a few parts. He did order some from and English firm , but it seems that Pietta have changed the internal dimension of this model pistols parts some time quite recently. His pistol appears to have been made in the 1970's. Any suggestons as to where to source the correct parts, it mainspring, hand and spring and maybe a replacement barrel, as the notches that the lever ram engage are washed out.

Cheers

Heelerau

With all the old Pietta Colt 1860's issues including the washed out loading lever notches it might be more cost effective and pleasurable to get another 1860 Army.

Looked on vtigunparts.com and a new barrel costs $125 without shipping. VTI can probably advise if the original Pietta loading lever would be compatible with a new barrel.

Best of good luck with the project.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gentlemen, my mate is thinking of junking the gun as it has likely just to flogged out. I suspect trying to get another barrel shipped down under might be just to difficult, He will likely get a newer one in due course. Thank you all for your help.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all from Down Under !

Well, rather than junking it, he may want to consider removing the barrel and cylinder and loading each chamber using a small mallet to drive the ball into the chambers.

Yes, it is a bit more work but he can have the fun of shooting 6 shots before he has to do it again.

That is 5 more shots than he would have if he was shooting the typical muzzleloading pistols of the day.

Cheers. :thumbsup:

Back