• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Early GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric D.

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Last Summer I found an early Eighties GPR kit with great wood, still in the box on G.B. Got it for a little less than new from Midsouth. I bent the tang closer to the barrel, removed the belly from the butt stock and removed what felt like a lot from the cheek pad. Reshaped the snail, Semi-buckhorn rear sight, and silver front. Browned most of it, and case colored the nose cap and escutcheons. Finished with vinegar and iron stain and Pure Tung oil which I purchased by mistake instead of polymerized Tung oil. Shrunk the stock in the hot box trying to dry the Tung oil, then let it finish drying and normalize several months in the house before finishing with 4ought steel wool, Formby's and wax. The rifle feels good to shoot offhand, still breaking the barrel in. I'm using 777, real black is not sold around here, so i get a lot of hang fires. I'm gonna try either Pyrodex or maybe Blackmz next to see if there's any improvement, otherwise suck up the nearly hundred dollars in shipping and hazmat fee's for real black powder. Cap's are $11.50 a tin here and I'm happy to have them, but don't care to waste to many.

Figure to strip my GPR and redo it,,looks like the factory finish is a "get it done and move on" project,,nice wood hidden by a poor finish !!!

Why yes it is. Good observation. I will make the sacrifice and say that I am willing to offer a large portion of my clutter as a donation to occupy some of that unnecessary free bench space. :haha:

My dear old daddy would have back-handed me for sitting those planes down on the irons :stir: :rotf:

other wise, great job

Jack

I often kid my wife that my bench is the cleanest spot in the house, but rest assured there's usually a few inches of shavings on the floor. I always set my planes down carefully but still feels a tinge of guilt for setting them down on their soles, one of these days I'll get around to building a till for them, until then my OCD won't let me place them on their side.

marmotslayer said:
Very nice!

Your bench however is kinda spooky clean and organized. :haha:
Marmotslayer,
I have to agree with you.
Anybody with such a neat and tidy work bench should be approached with caution. They're sick people!
Might fine looking gun though.
Fred

Cut and Glue a 1/4" strip of wood along the top lead edge of the shelf,,rest the heal of the sole on it when you put the plane up and the iron will not set on the shelf,,

She shoots straighter than I can aim, But I've only gotten One can of 777 through her. I get a lot of misfires though. After the first five or six shots she starts misfiring and even with continual cleaning of the breech end I still waste almost twice as many caps as balls.
The only other powders carried here are Blackmz and pyrodex, no Real black. I plan On trying the Blackmz next because I read that it ignites easier. This summer I might mail order some real black but I live on an island so they will only deliver it to a barge service in WA. Then I get to pay an additional $49 min. barge fee. I've been looking for someone to split the shipping cost with.

Eric, that's a beautiful re-do of an already nice rifle! I've got plenty of Goex here so I think you should just send it to me and I'll get that barrel broke in real good for you! It might take a few years though... :wink: :rotf:

Beautiful rifle Eric, very well done, exceptionally nice wood. Man I love those half stock Hawkens, sharpest lookin' rifle out there imo.

Very nice! Beautiful wood, I wish one of mine had wood like that. I really like the mods on the stock. :thumbsup:

Erik,
Again, I have to compliment you on the fine GPR Hawken.
Also, I must say that the photography is also great.
The background is exceptional.
Where were these pictures taken?
Thank you for showing & sharing.
Best regards!
Fred

Latest posts

Back