• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Early flintlock ID help and advice welcomed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arnoldshea2

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hey all,
I may have an opportunity to buy an "original" .36 caliber flintlock. Id love to hear your opinions about the pictures i am posting down below. I don't know who made it or when it was made. It may be a mish mash of old and new parts, and it does have some stock damage that was repaired. Supposedly it has been maintained to be shootable. Let me know your thoughts. Should I run away, or spend a week's pay?We haven't discussed price yet.

Attachments

• IMG_5350.jpg
    IMG_5350.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_5348.jpg
    IMG_5348.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_5349.jpg
    IMG_5349.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_5347.jpg
    IMG_5347.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_5346.jpg
    IMG_5346.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_5344.jpg
    IMG_5344.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_5345.jpg
    IMG_5345.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_5353.jpg
    IMG_5353.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_5354.jpg
    IMG_5354.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 223
It does look nice and quite possibly shootable. Any stock repairs will detract from the gun's value but if it's an old repair then it's part of its history and has a lesser effect than a current one, at least in my opinion. I wouldn't run until I heard the price. :)

If an original I’m not convinced it was originally made as a flintlock. I could not make out the signature but it looked upside down like it’s pointing toward the breech.

Looks like "A Ager", but it is hard to see

AGER, A.
New Rumley, Ohio, 1856-61.
Ager, Alexander
Gunsmith of New Rumley, Harrison County, Ohio. Born in the vicinity in 1821. Established a gun shop in 1848 and produced a number of muzzle loading rifles of fine- workmanship. General George Custer, a native of Rumley. was a frequent visitor to the Ager shop before the Civil War. Ager was active until 1886 and died in 1898. (Pg. 743, “History of Carroll and Harrison Counties/ ' Eckley-Perry, Chicago, 1921. Pg. 146, Hawkes & Rcdficld’s Ohio Business Directory, 1854.)

Looks like "A Ager", but it is hard to see

AGER, A.
New Rumley, Ohio, 1856-61.
Ager, Alexander
Gunsmith of New Rumley, Harrison County, Ohio. Born in the vicinity in 1821. Established a gun shop in 1848 and produced a number of muzzle loading rifles of fine- workmanship. General George Custer, a native of Rumley. was a frequent visitor to the Ager shop before the Civil War. Ager was active until 1886 and died in 1898. (Pg. 743, “History of Carroll and Harrison Counties/ ' Eckley-Perry, Chicago, 1921. Pg. 146, Hawkes & Rcdficld’s Ohio Business Directory, 1854.)
Thank you very much! I believe that you may be correct, its hard to see from photos. But i bet you are correct. Do you think this is a reasonable purchase?

If an original I’m not convinced it was originally made as a flintlock. I could not make out the signature but it looked upside down like it’s pointing toward the breech.
Thank you! Very good observation, I had a feeling that this may be kinda a mix of different parts.

It does look nice and quite possibly shootable. Any stock repairs will detract from the gun's value but if it's an old repair then it's part of its history and has a lesser effect than a current one, at least in my opinion. I wouldn't run until I heard the price. :)
Thank you, still waiting on the price. We will see what happens.

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to do a little research and sharing your knowledge, thoughts and experience. I would like to try shooting flintlocks, and having an old one sounds pretty cool! However I want to be sensible and i don't want to spend too much.
-Shea

I’d take a knowledgeable person with me, and even disassemble the gun ( take the lock out) to look for any surprises. And check to see if it is not loaded! Looked at a old squirrel rifle , took the barrel out, I could unscrew the breechplug BY HAND! I passed on that one.

Unfortunately I don't have the ability to see the rifle firsthand. I will likely pass on this one, I don't believe that it will be offered at the price i am comfortable with. Never know, i might find something else that im more comfortable with that I can see firsthand.

Hey guys, i didn't end up purchasing the gun...and for a very good reason. In the new year i look forward to sharing the interesting tale. Hope you all have a happy new year!

Back