• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Early English Trade Gun and Carolina Gun the Same Thing?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this Northwest gun may have been restocked:

View attachment 61295

The moulding around the lock and the teardrop carvings seem crude, and the wrist looks atypically thick. It also has a "shotgun butt," without the usual baluster. The forend looks sort of squarish, too. I think the stock may be beech, with that "flecky" pattern visible in the close-up image of the serpent, but I'm not convinced. I suppose it could even be birch; if the gun was in fact restocked it was likely done in Canada, and birch may have been available.

I think some of the hardware may have been modified, too. The buttplate looks as if it may have been slightly altered to make the gun easier on the shoulder, with some of the square edges appearing to be somewhat rounded, and the angle of the return at the heel seems to be more gently radiused than normal. The tang screw coming up from the bottom has an odd-looking head, so maybe its a replacement. I don't know what to make of that trigger.

The gun was identified as made by Barnett in 1805. I don't know its whereabouts. This "collage" of photos is from a blog post on the Alberta's Historic Places website: Power & Powder: Early Guns in Alberta

Notchy Bob
These guns are getting harder to find and the prices keep going up. Here's one of many we sold, a BARNETT dated 1805 that I sold in 2019 at RIA Auction House.

Buck

Attachments

• barrent 1805  (good cond)..jpg
    barrent 1805 (good cond)..jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 17
Back