• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Early American Life Magazine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artie Peltier

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Went to my local library today to check out the February issue. There were some great articles that the members may find interesting. Among them the history of handirons, with over two hundred years of history starting from the beginning through colonial times. For the food people, the history of buckwheat, known as the poor mans food. Finally for the craftsman, detailed plans to make a colonial lantern including plans and photos. Wish I had the talent to build this one,it looks great. Hope you get to check it out and enjoy. Art

Artie, Thanks for the heads up. The articles look very interesting. I'm going to the local B and N tomorrow. This issue should be on the shelf by now. I should probably just go ahead and subscribe like I do with with Muzzleloader and Backwoodsman.

Jeff

In addition to the articles Artie mentioned, the one about hand looms, from both an historical and practical aspect, is excellent. I thought the author's statement that it could take a year to make a wool blanket was eye opening. (Shearing sheep, cleaning, dying, spinning, weaving wool, and all the other chores of living on the frontier.) No wonder these items were treasured.

Jeff

Early American Life is one of, if not the best of it's kind. Their articles cover a wide spectrum of subjects concerning early American living, tools, clothing, and life in general from the common man to the affluent. From frontier to city life. A most excellent magazine. All in high quality paper and color photography. That may sound like a commercial, but it is a great magazine.

Latest posts

Back