• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

early 58 rem import unknown proof Mk?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently acquired an early 58 rem ,1970 ,XXVI,imported byFIE. Its got a three digit serial number and is cased. The makers proof is faint but appears to be a B in a box.
The hammer is serrated rather than checkered consequently I'm leaning toward pietta style rather than uberti .
Anyone know this proof mark??? Thanks

At least I'm not alone, I have an article by Dennis Adler called modern black powder proof marks. It has some great info,IE date codes and symbols from 1954 thru 2003. Also proof house symbols, it covers uberti,pietta, asm, palmetto etc but nothing on the B in the box/brackets somebody knows this one

Thanks necchi,that's the artical I was talking about, I reread it and while it covers several makers ,it does not identify the B in the box/brackets makers mark.
I will try to post a picture tomorrow if photo bucket will cooperate.

And no luck with photo bucket or tinypic. I get how it works ,I just live to far out in the sticks for decent service.Its worth the trade off!

Maybe a little break thru,googled Italian gun makers marks 1970. Found an image with the same makers mark as mine it is a more legible stamping . Rather than a B in a box it shows what looks like a superposed BL surrounded by a large squared capital G , the search continues

Thanks wolfundrabe!you get the grand prize!
I am amazed and humbled by the collective knowledge on this forum.
Thanks again, puzzle solved.

Back