• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Early 18th Century Belt Bag and Waiste Belt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt. Jas.

58 Cal.
Reaction score
This is a recent set made from one of my signature patterns.
It is based on an early 18th century painting by Seeman.
Intregal pocket on flap. Fully lined and has a horsehide one piece belt channel in rear. Pewter button and a die forged iron buckle.

20200227_193345.jpg
20200227_190024.jpg
20200227_192605.jpg
20200227_192425.jpg
20200227_193948.jpg

WOW!!!

James, may I ask what leather you used for this piece?

I truly love the detail you go into on this pouch. Never thought about using a burnisher to do the edges of the belt loop and sliding loop. Nice Touch. Speaking of sliding loops for belts and straps, were these at least somewhat common on 18th century work? I add an extra sliding loop for Musket slings and have been adding them for years to Pouch Straps and Belts, but have to admit I never knew if that was correct or not.

Like the stitching around the button hole and the rounded pinking in other areas.

Is the buckle one of your make and if so, did you heat blue it?

Thank you for posting these pics. What a treat to see them!

Gus

Gus,
This is goatskin inside and out. The belt of course is from down the spine if the bovine.
I always burnish edges of the loops. Just how I was taught. A little hide glue and boiling water makes a nice edging and a rough piece of canvas brings it to a nice burnish.
I think sliding (running) loops on strapping goes way back. A loop on a belt bag from medieval times is nothing more than a running keeper.
A runner keeps things from flopping and is used in saddlery/harness as well.
The scalloping was done with a punch given me by Eric. I will always treasure it.
I didn't make the buckle. It is actually japanned.

I had trouble with my lighting booth colorand the color is more like this closeup.

20200227_190130.jpg

Gus,
This is goatskin inside and out. The belt of course is from down the spine if the bovine.
I always burnish edges of the loops. Just how I was taught. A little hide glue and boiling water makes a nice edging and a rough piece of canvas brings it to a nice burnish.
I think sliding (running) loops on strapping goes way back. A loop on a belt bag from medieval times is nothing more than a running keeper.
A runner keeps things from flopping and is used in saddlery/harness as well.
The scalloping was done with a punch given me by Eric. I will always treasure it.
I didn't make the buckle. It is actually japanned.

I had trouble with my lighting booth colorand the color is more like this closeup.

James,

You did a superb job of matching the colour of the belt to the colour of the pouch. That is not easy to do with leathers from two different animals and I congratulate you.

I thought along similar lines on keepers/runners in the 18th century, but I wasn't sure on their historic accuracy and appreciate your thoughts on it. It made me feel much better about using them in the past and future.

I'm sure you do treasure the scalloping punch from Eric and once again I truly appreciate your assistance in getting his CD's for me. I love them.

Gus

Gus, you are spot on with trying to match different types of hides especially with lighter tones. It's not perfect but wouldn't have been in the period either I'm sure.

Back