• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Early 1862 police revolver. More photos added.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked this little cutie up at an auction today, it's not marked as a Colt so I'm guessing it's a Metropolitan.
The fit and finish are every bit as good as a colt and the gun is in a condition that is almost beyond belief.
There's no pitting anywhere, the bore is slick and shiny, and the chambers are clean. The timing is spot on.
Any insights on the revolver are welcome. I really went to the auction for a couple of old caplock rifles but when this little revolver came up I figured someone would want it because I'm not a revolver guy.
IMGP1019.JPG
IMGP1020.JPG

IMGP1018.JPG
IMGP1021.JPG
IMGP1023.JPG
IMGP1025.JPG
IMGP1028.JPG
IMGP1030.JPG

Last edited:
What I've gathered so far is the Metropolitan gun company made these guns in the same time frame as the colt and of the same quality. Some they marked some not this one falls into the serial number range of the unmarked one. This one has been well cared for over the years and from what I've read they bring only slightly less than a Colt.

Wow, nice gun. That sure looks like a Colt, it would be nice to have one to compare it to. It looks to have some deep rifling. All around nice find, enjoy.

After looking at it closer i see two discrepancies. No caliber mark behind the trigger guard on the left side , and the loading lever pivots on a screw. Colts creeping levers dont pivot on a screw. Thats a very close copy, very interesting. Thank you for sharing that with us.

After looking at it closer i see two discrepancies. No caliber mark behind the trigger guard on the left side , and the loading lever pivots on a screw. Colts creeping levers dont pivot on a screw. Thats a very close copy, very interesting. Thank you for sharing that with us.
Yes, there are slight differences between the Metropolitan and the Colt. Both are well-made revolvers
and there are way fewer Metropoltans out there.

I didn't just run across the gun. It was at an auction place I keep up to date on. There were four muzzleloaders kinda hidden among 200+ other guns. When it got to the bidding on the blackpowder
guns it was just me and one other guy.

Back