• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Early 1700's Flintlock Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nutnfancy

40 Cal
Reaction score
My neighbor showed me a pistol a friend of his picked up years ago while in the service but doesn't remember where he got it. The lock was a little stiff and the pistol had a few other issues which my neighbor fixed for the owner. The only info I could find on it was made in the early 1700's and possibly made in either Europe somewhere or maybe Middle East. Anyway, it was pretty neat holding an original instead of a replica and an actual piece of history.
Flint_1.JPG
Flint_2.JPG
Flint_3.JPGFlint_4.JPGFlint_5.JPGFlint_6.JPG

i too find it fun to be able to hold an original old firearm. Even if it isn't something I can afford or really want to own. This past winter a local gun show vender had an orginal Rogers & Spencer. He let me handle it and look it over even though I was upfront about not buying it. I have a replica, but the original was something special.

Yes, it is nice to hold an original rather than a copy and I use the term copy loosely. I found an old original in a Pawn/gun shop. Nothing great, really plain rifle. Needed a little work but not much so I jumped on it. I always wanted one, and now I can check it off my list.

Got to handle an original Baker type CW shotgun at a gunshow last year. Barrels about 12" long, buttstock shortened to the grip, about 12 gauge. Had a hand forged hook/eye and original shoulder strap. Engraved with the owners name from Georgia and a copy of the roster from the cavalry unit he was in.

Probably saw a lot of action. Really neat.

Don

Hi Nutnfancy. Think I can help you out here. This pistol is what is commonly referred to by collectors of Eastern arms as an Ottoman Kuber (horse) Pistol. And very typical of the style. It was probably made at one of the many gun making centers in the Balkans - and more likely during the first half of the 19th Century. Probably under contract with the Ottoman Empire. These flint horse pistols were made by the thousands, and were so popular they remained in general use in the region through the 1880's. Hard to believe. Which is probably why there are so many original specimens available today. Stylistically, they would use a mix/match of old and new (for the time) pistol styles. But early to mid 18th Century was especially popular. Hope this helps.

Rick

Hi Rick, Thank you for the info. I can see now this is going to be a very useful and informative website. Also it appears the members are more than glad to help and share info, that is a trait that is hard to find these days.

I always whished when handling a old original the gun would talk to me tell me where it had been and used I will buy and older weapon before a new one every time

Back