• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Early 1500s Snapping Matchlock carbine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear Flint Yes I knew of & communicated with M Tromner years ago & made a snap matchlock for him' after 'Hans Morl took it UK got it proofed but for some reason he didnt respond so I took it to the US & sold it to Donlyn at Smoke & Fire News . That was before I wrote the Article in Muzzle Loader Magazine 'Observations on the more archaic locks' 1995 November issue I think, any way Pukka read the bit about the .' Palm for reliability must ever be reserved for the matchlock' A rather bold claim but it strook a cord with Pukka & he sought me for years until by chance I sold a snap M lock to a mutual friend in Spokane & then it all fell into place. .Small World ( glad I havn't got to paint it ! That was an Eric joke)) I subsequently met both & Rob Dean at a shoot near Red Deer Alberta at Which both shoot & Matchlock got videoed and you can look them up 2019 I think it was . pre covert anyway . Much the same as I knew the' Detachment Chamble' from Hardwick Mass you know them I made a Wheelllock & a big English lock gun at Erics place . Tom Brown or Peter Gobbles got that not sure now ,been a while .
Regards Rudyard

Well here is the based
IMG-9360.JPG
IMG-9363.JPG
IMG-9365.JPG
IMG-9366.JPG
on the Behaim Gun plus a Petronel the stock is the only 'Lockplate' No nitro ever went near them but perhaps interesting .
Regards Rudyard

I would guess that making some reproduction match lock firearms here in New Zealand could be a problem as we have 30" overall minimum length law regarding long arms , under that they become a pistol and the paperwork for that is just a big head ache .
I am intrigued the way many matchlocks and wheel locks had aperture sights but their use seems have to declined for flintlock and caplock rifles .

True but even a Paget Carbine 16' 'barrel comes under 30" overall the one in the pics exceeds that . Tony Hawkins was selling me barrels 1976 onwards according to my old register .
Peep sight on the Behaim gun c 1510 snap M lock I succeeded allready earlier today posting pics with help Ime not adept on E gajets .as you know.
Regards Rudyard

Dear Cut finger I measured the Behaim barrel 26" well over even if the butt is shorter than normal . Some how the pics of it seems to be missing in the posts on M locks curious .
Regards Rudyard

I want a matchlock so bad o_O, it's driving me nuts! Interesting gun you got there, I think the button style "trigger" is very interesting.

Dear Granth. If its the matchlock I show with the inlett shield .(My own notion but based on the original Behaime gun now in the Hermitage Museum St Petersburg .They where a family of German merchants ) ''The large button pushes a rod through the stock against light pressure of a spring that in turn pulls out the nose of the scear you can just see shineing as it retains the dog head or probably better called a 'Serpentine' . Whilst authenic it is a regal P in the rectum to get used too .Hence all the bone studs to feel your way to a better hold .
Probably easy for a Saxaphone player but I can only sing of key sea shanties & that dosnt help. .Basically you can't get much lower teck so go for it . I fitted the 40 cal smooth but added a 40 ca rifled brl its the smooth bored one that has the dragon muzzle . (Very important to have dragons ) least they must have thought so. And its just files and a bit of chisleing .
Regards Rudyard

Nice fast ignition. Like the style of that matchlock. I hope more matchlock makers will emerge to meet the demand? Haha When i shoot my matchlock locks at the local range i often get a lot of bewildered looks followed by questions like did both the union and confederacy use that. I then put out my match and start on the history of matchlocks from the beginning. I sure do wish there were more like minded types here.

I maybe wrong but I think most boys with any emagination make rude guns of copper pipe or equally doubtful items and the simplest lock is the matchlock at least what youde call' a lock' as apposed to hand held wire notions. I read the book' Bevis & Mark' about two boys getting a blacksmith to forge weld a breach plug & makeing some sort of matchlock . So knocked up some frightfull examples of what not to do . in that department .But the flame was kindled and its lead me to now just as interested in such things .Though I no longer rely on penny bangers or chemical mixes that useually came out disastrous . it reminds me of Stevensons or Ballantines lines

" I have wrought my simple plan, if I bring one hour of joy, To the boy who's half a man & the man who's half a boy" .

Regards Rudyard

Dear Cut finger I measured the Behaim barrel 26" well over even if the butt is shorter than normal . Some how the pics of it seems to be missing in the posts on M locks curious .
Regards Rudyard
Hi Rudyard New Zealand does not have a barrel length restriction rather an overall firearm length restriction of 30 inches or 762 mm anything under that is a handgun .

Just to inform everyone ... if you need future blacksmith and/or gunsmith services, one can also contact Jeff Miller of The Flintlock Forge (down Maine), see more info here:

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/gunsmith-blacksmith-services-for-older-arms.144673/
Has anyone used the flintlock forge for specifically matchlocks? Also, if you do not mind sharing, what TRS kits has he made for you? The Rifle Shoppe's website has such fascinating stuff, but the skill requirement seems very high.

Related, while it does seem like there are thankfully a handful of matchlock builders still around, with Brian Anderson's retirement, are there any that have experience making these Italian wars/Pavia snapping matchlocks?

Back