• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103
Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should have bought that 17th century plug breech loader!!! Smack myself every time I think of it.

Where is there a documented reference to English-made rifles being supplied to a ranging company during the later 1750s or early 1760s, during the F/I War? I remember coming across it many years ago, *if I remember correctly* something about approx. 20 or 25 rifles, made in Britain, being supplied out of Albany I believe but then never returned. Just going by memory, which maybe inaccurate. I know I read of this but unfortunately can no longer find the original reference. It may have been in some of DeWitt Bailey's work but I do not currently have any of that close at hand.

Where is there a documented reference to English-made rifles being supplied to a ranging company during the later 1750s or early 1760s, during the F/I War? I remember coming across it many years ago, *if I remember correctly* something about approx. 20 or 25 rifles, made in Britain, being supplied out of Albany I believe but then never returned. Just going by memory, which maybe inaccurate. I know I read of this but unfortunately can no longer find the original reference. It may have been in some of DeWitt Bailey's work but I do not currently have any of that close at hand.
Hi Eric,
Bailey in his book ""British Military Flintlock Rifles 1740-1840" documents quite a number of rifles issued to troops in North America beginning in 1746. They are usually described as rifled carbines and were possibly made in Germany. Rifles were issued to British engineers during Braddock's expedition and were probably the first guns fired at the approaching French and Indians. Rifles were also issued to Forbes expedition. As many as 300 rifled carbines were shipped to troops in North America during the French and Indian War. Unfortunately, there do not seem to be any records where they were made.

dave

Rifles in wheelocks show up in England in early seventeenth century. Many of the rifeled barrels that went on to American rifles in colonial times seem to have been made in England. Yet from the time of the revolution we have letters where rifles are being explained to the folks back home. That makes me think they were few and far between until late eighteenth early nineteenth.
Although deer and in Scotland red deer(elk) are to be seen, most of England hunting information and instruction manuals concentrate on small game and fowling guns. I would hazzard that the Great age of English sporting rifles is the nineteenth century
Dear Tenngun Red deer are not Elk but probably taste the same and are down here Elk are called Wapati Both & many other Deer species being brought to NZ that never had four legged creatures much & became a shot at sight no holds barred (Except spotlighting on Crown lands but OK on Private ) pest s . No other natural predators no Bears Lions or hard winters . But I don't mean to pick you up . Agree great age 19th C but must been many shot mid 17th & earlier when not hunted by force of hounds & killed by a sword And snipeing by Game keepers during the Civil war was done with rifles either breech or ML ing but generally relatively few rifles much prior . The chase considered the excepted way other than Keepers bowling Park Deer for the household fare But the upheavals of the war forced shooting to be the affordable means once the monarchy was restored under Charles the second . I have the later work of Neal & Back it covers 1540 to 1740.Ile look see what rifles are mentioned for you . Regards Rudyard .

P S I see the earlier posts have largely covered the same ground R

Last edited:
Back