• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Earl Kathan?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update:

Well, as some of you may know from going to Earl's Web-Site he has closed his shop due to health reasons. I was so sad to hear that. But his health has to come first. My prayers remain with him and his Family always.
Earl was my go-to Gunsmith - for everything !! I feel lost witout him. His COMBINATION of skills will be difficult to locate with one person. I guess I was spoiled knowing Earl. All the lock work, even lock re-building. Restoration work on complete guns. Even making mainsprings and tumblers. And little stuff like making small diameter iron rings. He was very clever at coming up with stuff I could not readily purchase.
So, I will have to go searching for someone else with a similar skill set. Maybe two or three people with different skill sets (?).
Maybe one of you Forum members can provide a lead for me? Thanks.

Rick

We are getting older and our friends and relatives are going to a better place.

My sister left me on Saturday 9/3/16 5 days short of her 75 birthday. She had 4 heart attacks since she was 40 years old. Lung cancer 10 years ago then colon cancer 5 years ago.

She is now in peace God bless her she left 4 sons and 3 grand children. And on July 5th her great-grandson who is doing well.

That is more than most of us can wish for.

She is in her lords hands now to rest without pain.

Ricky, pleased to report that Earl is out of the woods as of now!!! I have not asked him if he's working at his forge yet, but I'm sure if not yet, darn soon in my estimation. I will add my recommendations, but cannot add to all those who spoke so well of his work, done loads for me so far.:thumbsup:

Yes, for the time being he is seeking a more routine routine but has survived the biggest battle of his life. Nice to know some of us helped too.

I don't mind telling everyone now that just before Earl was diagnosed I was at his house and actually bought his matchlock, the one he made for himself which he hunted with, that graced the front pages of his website. He shared a great story about its first outing I hope he comes back and relates to everyone some day.

Still have to shake my head about the retired lifer BS artist here who "personally" recommended him without ever using or knowing anything about the man... Not one bit surprised though.

Hello ALL.

Glad I noticed the update on this Thread. YES!! Earl had mentioned to me his current results from the Doctors. It is great news indeed. What a great Thanksgiving and Christmas gift. I'm soooo happy to have heard the news. I too, am betting, with time, he'll be back at that forge which he is so talented with.
Alden: I know the matchlock of which you speak LOL That's a beauty. Glad you got it.
Speaking of which.....I haven't posted any new projects lately. But I will later this month. It's an original India Torador Matchlock - now in safe shooting condition. I'll post it in the Pre-Flintlock section. Think some of you may find this interesting, especially the barrel. Stay tuned.

I'm glad my prayers for Earl were answered in the positive. Can't tell you how good it makes me feel.

Rick

Back