• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

E. Whitney Revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Helping some friends with a collection appraisal.
One item is a Whitney 2nd Model - 4th type.
Serial No. 23xxx

I'm trying to nail down a date of manufacture to a range of two or three years. The best I've been able to do with what books I have plus the web is somewhere during the Civil War.

I have done a search on the forum and found some info, but not quite what I'm looking for.

Anyone?

I appreciate that link. This specimen was built about 1863-1865. It had a bore obstruction which I insisted on clearing even though it's very doubtful the owner will ever fire this. Very old and very dried grease made it difficult to pull down but we made it. There were three wadded-up cleaning patches halfway down the barrel. I had tools with but you can't bring everything, so I didn't have blackpowder cleaning stuff. Hardened grease residue made it impossible to re-seat the arbor into the frame.
I'm going to see it again in a couple of days and will have my stuff with to get it all taken care of.

A friend of some friends (you know how it goes) originally asked for the appraisal and Boy Howdy was there stuff to appraise. There were only two muzzleloaders - this revolver and one of those Belgian made flintlock African trade muskets. I had never seen or heard of one of those before. That one is in tough shape with a pitted barrel and a poorly functioning lock. At first I thought it was some kind of cheap knock-off for re-enacting, but turns out it's correct right down to the Belgian proof marks.

All the planets happened to align and I now own this Whitney. All numbers match including under the grip panels. It locks up tight and I plan on shooting it just enough to say I have shot a 158 year old firearm.

As seen in the photo, somewhere in its past 'Jesse James' was scrawled on one of the grip panels. Let me go on record as saying I don't believe that for a second. Once Jesse was murdered the James family was well known to put his name on just about everything they thought they could sell. It appears (from what I've read anyway) that his Mother did quite a bit of this herself. It could also easily have been done by somebody who just finished watching 'Gunsmoke' on TV one night in 1970.

That having been said, I'm sure I'll spend some time looking at ancient photos of Jesse holding whatever revolver as I zoom in trying to enhance the image.

I have also been known to buy lottery tickets on occasion.
IMG_0732.jpg
IMG_0733.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back