• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dutch Schultz' Accuracy Method

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billnpatti

Cannon
Reaction score
What is everyone's opinion of Dutch Schultz' accuracy method? Where can I get a copy of it?

I'm a believer in it. I use his dry patch formula in all of my front stuffers. Only thing is, it's not traditional in my opinion. I don't think our for fathers had soluble oil. But they surely had to know about using just the right amount of patch lube and just how much to swab the bore between shots.

Billnpatti said:
What is everyone's opinion of Dutch Schultz' accuracy method? Where can I get a copy of it?

Dutch is a good sort and his system is well worth the investment. For ordering details, use the link that Swampy provided.

hawken hunter 60 said:
I don't think our for fathers had soluble oil.
But they surely had to know about using just the right amount of patch lube and just how much to swab the bore between shots.

Agree...and to me, experimenting / learning to shoot this grand old technoloy like our forefathers did is the whole point of the hobby...to learn through the steps to see "why" this works better than that, etc...that's the rewarding part to me...the satisfaction is in the learning...so speaking only for me, I don't WANT anybody to give me...much less sell me...some instant "formula" to do ANYTHING in this grand old form of shooting.

If I wanted shortcuts through all sorts of modern automation approaches to eliminate the thinking and learning, I could just keep using my Remington 700's and not bother with all this...but that's just me :wink:

I took a look at Dutch's website and read the letter from a customer.

Seems to me the main point of the whole system is consistency. Keep all of your components consistent. Change only one variable at a time.

That's exactly what we tell people right here every day.

I know owners of the system will jump in and say I am wrong about it, which is fine. I still think I got the gist of it.

HD

hawken hunter 60 said:
I'm a believer in it. I use his dry patch formula in all of my front stuffers. Only thing is, it's not traditional in my opinion. I don't think our for fathers had soluble oil. But they surely had to know about using just the right amount of patch lube and just how much to swab the bore between shots.

Yeah..they didn't have soluble oil...but they also didn't drive to their hunting spots or shooting range in their pickup trucks either!

Thanks to all who responded. I had used his method in the past but had lost the exact procedure and need to get a new copy of it. My opinion of his method was quite favorable and I wondered what others thought of it. My last post concerning the Davenport Equation stirred up quite a storm of controversy. I'm glad this one wasn't quite as controversial. Thanks again to all.

If you had bought the materials from Dutch, give him a holler--he'll probably send you a another copy. It is always a surprise to me that so many fellow black powder shooters are unwilling to part with a few dollars to learn something that might seriously increase their success. Dutch's tips are the best use of $15 I have had in many years. Sure, I knew some of it already. I've been shooting, and building muzzle loaders for 50 years. However, nobody has done a better job of clearly spelling out the best way to work up a very consistant accurate load in a muzzle loading rifle than Dutch. Most black powder how-to books and articles in gun magazines are BS compared to Dutch's down to earth, scientific, methodical technique. Of course that can't compete with runnin' yur balls over a campfire during a new moon then loading powder by guesstimate from a horn given you by yur great grandpappy.

I didn't feel I really got anything out of Dutch's material, not that I disagreed with anything he said, it just wasn't anything new to me. As Huntin Dawg said the main point was consistency, do everything exactly the same every time. Keep detailed notes on your load development, be systematic, change only one thing at a time and you'll get there with or without Dutch's help. :grin:

CoyoteJoe said:
I didn't feel I really got anything out of Dutch's material, not that I disagreed with anything he said, it just wasn't anything new to me. As Huntin Dawg said the main point was consistency, do everything exactly the same every time. Keep detailed notes on your load development, be systematic, change only one thing at a time and you'll get there with or without Dutch's help. :grin:
Amen...and you learned first hand why this works than that, that works better than this, etc

Its obvious that you don't remember that he includes much more than " Be consistent".

The information he provides on reading spent patches, and how changes in components affect your target groups is invaluable, and really help new shooters learn how to correlate what they are seeing on their targets, with what might be the problem. The pictures he provides are outstanding.

Of course, once you have been through the process several times, with different guns, reading patches becomes as much rote training as anything else. You see a spent patch, and it immediately tells you why that shot hit outside the group.

My best use for Dutch's System is here, answering questions from new members, who post pictures of their targets, and ask what is going wrong. I also like to review his system before I go out to work up a load with new components, or for a new gun and caliber. I save a lot of time making mistakes I realize Only after I have made them. Sure, I know them when I see them, and I know what to do to correct them. But, I would rather work up a load in an hour at the range, than over the course of 2 or more days spending hours at the range. I am NOT a fan of shooting at paper targets. I respect those shooters who do, and are good at it. Its just not very exciting to me. I rank it right down there with watching paint dry. :blah: :shocked2: :hmm: :hatsoff:

:thumbsup: consistency, that is what makes the diff.whether its ml,cf,archery,or even slingshots. :v

It doesn't work Don't waste your money. The worst groups my gun ever shot. Went back to bore butter and shooting one hole again.

I'm working the system with my .50cal flintlock and it's working for me. Shot my 1st sub 2" five shot group at 50yds last time out. It was better than that really, 4 holes touching with one off a bit. Measured 1.93". Just today I took the micrometer to Joann fabrics for an ever so slightly thicker patch material. The only thing I'm yet to do is individually weigh lead balls, and that's next.

With bore butter I can shoot all afternoon without any swab, and pile them on top of each other. Sure beats pushing crud down into breach and causing hang fires.

Back