• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dutch oven I.D.?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Might someone be able to identify this dutch oven? The bail has a stop to prevent it from going past ninety degrees, "K" on underside of tab, and basting drippers on the lid underside. Lots of good reading on dutch ovens in previous threads here! Pointed out is that lids without basting drippers can be inverted and used as another piece of cookware and also might be better for breadmaking. Should I grind this lid's underside smooth? 001.JPG 004.JPG 006.JPG

What you have there I believe is a nice chicken fryer, A Dutch oven should have 3 small legs on the bottom of the kettle part and a recessed lid with a lip around the edge to retain coals on top of the lid. But do not fret it will work as a Dutch oven just place it on a couple small (very dry rocks) to get it up off the coals a bit, and be careful of coals on the lid when you lift the lid. I would not grind the lid smooth as if you look around you should be able to find a small cast iron griddle. From the pictures it seems in good shape not really abused and should serve you well, great kettles to make soup in.

I have found that lids don't make the best fry pans if they are also used as lids.
the steam from cooking tends to remove the seasoning or they don't get well seasoned in the first place. Their lack of flatness is also an issue.
A regular fry pan works much better.
There are lots of good cheap import cast iron out there, No need to ruin a good lid.

In my area I have no problem finding good reproduction or vintage cast iron at reasonable prices.

I use to do a lot of cast iron cooking, I need to get back into it.

Have one that looks identical that I bought from a local hardware store 35 years ago or so. DONOT grind off the drippers, the lid will NOT make another useful piece cookware. Get griddle or frying pan, used or new if you need or want another piece of cast iron cookware.

I would rub it down with pure canola oil (Crisco) and place it in a 375° oven for 30 minutes or so, repeating the process three or four times to ‘season’ it. This is cast iron, not modern barrel steel. Note there will be some smoke.

Avoid harsh cleaners (soaking in hot or boiling water will make it easy to clean it) or abrasive scrubbers. Wipe inside with canola oil again when dry after cleaning, and heat on stovetop for 5 minutes or so, at least the first few times you use it. Gives you the original no stick finish.

Thank you very much, friends, I'll leave it as-is. No doubt there is plenty to choose from out there; I bought this piece reasonably some time ago at an antique/second-hand store. The owner related that cast iron cookware went in and out of fashion regularly and was rarely profitable for her.

Carbon 6, do you use your griddle outdoors when encamped and if so, could you share some tips? I have a nice Griswold but haven't used it outdoors over wood.

I have Griswold and Wagner, along with contemporary stuff. When using over wood fire first thing to watch is to make sure you don’t overheat it, or you’ll cook off the seasoning. Yes, you can ‘burn’ cast iron cookware. After using, make sure it’s clean without getting too aggressive, and keep it oiled. I prefer canola because of the protective varnish like coating it cooks into as it heats.

Carbon 6, do you use your griddle outdoors when encamped and if so, could you share some tips? I have a nice Griswold but haven't used it outdoors over wood.

I have used it over the fire, I also have a swing grill I put it on and a fire grill I use it at home on my gas grill. Over the fire I lift it up with rocks or bricks or dig a fire pit or use the grill. About the only tips i have are don't cook over flames. cook over coals, I like to cheat and use charcoal,(lump or homemade) If cooking with coals from the fire I keep a fire going at the other end of the pit to rob coals from. If your coals still aren't hot enough i have kindling splits i can add to it, they burn up fast and don't over heat. Remember cast iron heats slowly and stays hot when hot, so be patient when heating it. Depending on what you're cooking I usually keep a glass of water handy to deglaze, a drop of water is also a good way to tell the temperature of the griddle.

When done cooking depending on what was cooked, I clean it immediately, before I eat usually and remove it from the heat.

When cooking over the fire I always have thick leather gloves so I can just grab whatever needs to be moved. not welding gloves to cumbersome to put on and off. Just cheap heavy leather gloves. like these.

images

Not much more to say than that I guess.

As carbon 6 says,I use a griddle a lot when running a heavy camp especially for breakfast, larger cooking area and quicker coking time, remember to use only coals and watch the heat.

The swing grill is really nice, it allows you to remove everything from the heat to add, move adjust flip or whatever to the food, without you being over the heat and smoke. It is also height adjustable, and can be used as workstation, shelf or foot stool when not in use for cooking. (Great for keeping feet warm in cold weather.)

If you over heat your grill, you will remove the seasoning. Proper care and you add to the seasoning. Treat your cast iron well and it will treat you well.

I’ve taken to using a "comal". Made from disc harrow blade. Fits right on top of my little brazier. Looks a lot like what all the Mexican womenfolk used down here. Cook just about everything in it. Very versatile. Naturally you can’t use it for an oven. But I got plenty of them if I need one.

I have the same medium size dutch. Flat bottom so I use a trivit over coals. Keeps the oven out of the coals. also made a ring that I put on the lid so the coals don't slip and fall off. Piece of thin flat metal cut to length so a circle could me made then drilled and pop riveted . Made it smaller than the lid. pick up the lid without coals falling into the oven. Just a nice little doodad.

also made a ring that I put on the lid so the coals don't slip and fall off. Piece of thin flat metal cut to length so a circle could me made then drilled and pop riveted . Made it smaller than the lid. pick up the lid without coals falling into the oven. Just a nice little doodad.

That's a good idea, Never occurred to me to make a permanent one. I always made them out of tinfoil.
Bet I could use a tin canister lid and save myself some fabricating. Or not after I think about it.
But I can definetly see making one.

Latest posts

Back