Dutch Muskets of the American Revolutionary War

Discussion in 'Revolutionary War' started by FlinterNick, Jan 12, 2019 at 3:01 PM.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Jan 12, 2019 at 3:01 PM #1

FlinterNick

FlinterNick

FlinterNick

40 Cal

Do some readings on Dutch Musket of the American Revolutionary War.

Often overlooked by Reenactment groups of the American Revolution and F&I War periods are the various types of Dutch made weapons widely available.

I'm not too keen on the Dutch pattern muskets but it seems like they share many features of early long land muskets and later French designs. Many European militaries were adopting the steel banded musket over the traditional pinned barrel approach, this can be seen with many dutch pattern muskets from the earlier 1730 patterns through the muskets shipped to America in 1776.

Older Dutch Muskets were stocked to the muzzle requiring the use of a plug bayonet, a feature seen on very early British James Muskets.

Finding original patterns to construct / base a Dutch Musket on can be rather complicated especially since so many originals were serviced with forged parts.

I once saw a fella selling a 'Dutch Musket' on Gunbroker with some unique feature and ideas that stood out.

1. Iron Furniture, other than brass barrel bands.
    2. Octagon breeched barrel.
    3. A British Style Flintlock, round faced.
    4. Wooden Rammer.
    5. Walnut Brown Bess Style Stock.
    6. Caliber is .70-.78 on most Dutch guns.

Having visited the American Revolutionary War Museum in Philadelphia I did see a few Dutch Musket specimens and Belgium Contracted muskets. The Belgium contract muskets were simplified copies of the Brown Bess, mostly short land. The Dutch Musket seem to be very different in that many used both pins and brass barrel bands. Markings on the muskets suggest that many were in militia service before the Revolutionary War.

http://www.ladybemused.com/jaeger/NRA/Dutch Arms in the American Revolution.htm