• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Duro felt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought some of this stuff but it's been winter at my shootin spot too long and I haven't been out for way too long. The company promises better groups, especially for problem barrels and I've got one. My 1/48 54 shoots PRBs pretty good but doesn't like minnies or maxxies . Rifling looks good but not so sure about the muzzle. gunpa

Minnie's and maxies need fast twist rifling , grease lube , and must have a projectile that fits the bore well w/ no clearance between the sides of the slug and the bore. A sloppy fit of even a thousandths of an inch will not be accurate. That might be why the slugs ,etc don't shoot with accuracy.

I beg to differ with @oldwood. While the rate of twist is important for some designs of conical bullets, Minié balls and Maxi-balls work best in rifles with shallow grooves regardless of rate of twist. It is the fit of the Minié ball or Maxi-ball to the barrel that is the critical factor of getting the utmost accuracy with Maxi-balls, Minié balls or the LEE Rifling Engraved at Loading (REAL) bullets.

This is my second barrel on this gun. The first one was a tack driver with a variety of boolits. This barrel doesn't seem too like any of what I used to shoot. I've burned a lot of different powders looking for what I used to have-- accuracy!

I've never noticed a promise like that on their website but maybe I didn't look in the right place. As Oldwood said the minis have to be sized.

Okay, @glenn4505, you are going to have to dig out your Vernier caliper for the inside measurements of your barrel. You will need to know the land to land diameter and the groove to groove diameter. A Minie' ball needs to be sized 0.001" to 0.002" less than the land to land diameter of the bore. A Maxi-ball works best in a barrel that the groove diameter is the same as the engraving (largest) band.

Uh, why did you replace the barrel that was a tack driver?

how can you ruin a barrel with bore butter?
When you store the barrel for a long period of time thinking that a coating of bore butter will protect against rust. Much better rust inhibitors out there that do protect against rust.

Such as:
RIG - Rust Inhibiting Grease
Barricade
G96
BOEShield

There are other rust inhibitors that are going to be mentioned as well.

I to could never get the maxi ball to shoot accurate out to 100 yards till Idaho Lewis pass on some recommendation to me. He recommend to use a one caliber up wad, to only lube the bottom grove and, for target shooting only, to run the maxi though a sizing die so the maxi just "kisses the lands". So if I'm using my t/c 45 caliber hawken rifle I'll use a 50 caliber wad and size the maxi's to .453. Now using this combination with 80 grains of Black MZ I can shoot a 3" group using the maxi. With my eye sight this is probably the best I'll be able to do. Best regards.

I stored my rifle as mentioned by Grenadier. Thinking bore butter would keep it safe and to make matters worse I stored it in a soft case. I won't keep a centerfire stored in one of those long term. I've learned a little in 30 years. Not much but a little!

I stored my rifle as mentioned by Grenadier. Thinking bore butter would keep it safe and to make matters worse I stored it in a soft case. I won't keep a centerfire stored in one of those long term. I've learned a little in 30 years. Not much but a little!
I use bore butter and it’s fine, got lots of nice rust free bores too. But that’s just one guys experience

Back