• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dunmore's War: America's Last Colonial Conflict

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SgtErv

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Wanted to share with you all that the aforementioned title, by Glenn F. Williams is packed with information about the Virginia militia. He really gets into the nitty gritty, differentiating between men "under pay," scouts, spies, rangers, the difference between administrative officers in charge of geographical areas vs tactical unit officers, and much more.

Although it's comprehensive of Dunmore's War, the militia system and government of Virginia remained relatively unchanged through the AWI, so the information is still quite relevant.

It's a great read, highly recommended

Thanks for the heads up about the book. The price is a bit steep, even on Amazon, but I'll be recovering from surgery in the near future so I may splurge on it for an educational distraction. And my wife does spoil me. :grin:

My interest with militia and irregular troops in that era was whetted by the recent thread about King's Mountain and Cowpens. This should fit right in.

Jeff

It should certainly dovetail nicely.

I think the most surprising aspect was that the historian made a great case that the militia was more of a professional fighting force than is commonly believed. He points out that most of the officers were veterans of the French and Indian War and had training. The march out to Pt Pleasant, for example, required efficient, professional conduct logistically and tactically to pull it off.

Having practiced some close order and open order drill myself, one can see how they could gain some proficiency relatively quickly. Facing an enemy might be a different story, which is where I think that unprofessional aspect stems from.

Anyway, I'd say it was well worth the price for it. I was recovering from an illness when I devoured it, and it proved to be a fascinating distraction.

Back