• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Dumping Ballistol and Gun Oil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With all the ingredients mentioned in post #38 that Ballistol has in the mix, it doesn’t surprise me that something floats to the top. Everyone of those chemical ingredient will have a different specific gravity, they maybe close but separation is inevitable.

In the 3rd world diesel fuel and motor oil take care of all firearms cleaning and oiling.

Any homemade cleaner containing acetone, I wouldn’t let near my firearms.
I believe hydrogen peroxide is a useless ingredient in a firearm cleaner. It breaks down to release oxygen, not something I want on steel.

What ever your favourite gun cleaner & oil is, just investigate if it is available in gallon size containers. Transfer it to glass bottles particularly if the product is a CLP because it has a shelf life, after the solvents evaporate right through the plastic bottle then it just a plastic bottle of gun oil. Ever see plastic Permatex anti-seize all puckered in because light oil or solvents have passed through the plastic bottle.

The cleaners and oil used on my cartridge firearms are also used on my BP (real) muzzle loader. The muzzle loader gets the addition of water (to remove salts & bulk fouling) and some 99% alcohol (to remove the water) then it’s M-Pro7 or Hoppe’s cleaner and a synthetic gun oil.

With all the ingredients mentioned in post #38 that Ballistol has in the mix, it doesn’t surprise me that something floats to the top. Everyone of those chemical ingredient will have a different specific gravity, they maybe close but separation is inevitable.

In the 3rd world diesel fuel and motor oil take care of all firearms cleaning and oiling.

Any homemade cleaner containing acetone, I wouldn’t let near my firearms.
I believe hydrogen peroxide is a useless ingredient in a firearm cleaner. It breaks down to release oxygen, not something I want on steel.

What ever your favourite gun cleaner & oil is, just investigate if it is available in gallon size containers. Transfer it to glass bottles particularly if the product is a CLP because it has a shelf life, after the solvents evaporate right through the plastic bottle then it just a plastic bottle of gun oil. Ever see plastic Permatex anti-seize all puckered in because light oil or solvents have passed through the plastic bottle.

The cleaners and oil used on my cartridge firearms are also used on my BP (real) muzzle loader. The muzzle loader gets the addition of water (to remove salts & bulk fouling) and some 99% alcohol (to remove the water) then it’s M-Pro7 or Hoppe’s cleaner and a synthetic gun oil.

Hot water to clean, Vaseline to protect. Before I shoot, I wipe the Vaseline completely off, inside and out, with brake clean, carb cleaner, or acetone, whatever I see first. My guns have all remained spotless.

While Murphy Oil Soap is very good, and many swear by it, over the years, I have found Lestoil to exhibit better cleaning properties than does Murphy, or Pine-Sol.
See: Lestoil vs. Pinesol Ingredients, Performance, & Price - AGradeTools.com
I USE NO Peroxide, it is an oxidizer.
This also makes for an excellent patch lube/rust inhibitor, when Lanolin is added.
See attached Text Doc below.

Attachments

• LestoilBallistol-BPSolvent2.txt
    420 bytes · Views: 0
Another oil thread......

I use what I used because I have to mail order or travel for most gun cleaning products in my area. Here goes....

ATF + Lanolin melted in for short term storage and general lubrication
ATF + Lanolin + charcoal lighter fluid for WD40 tasks
Moly grease for high demand lube
Seafoam for carbon removal in unmentionables
Soap and water for BP clean up
Real cosmoline or pure lanolin for long term storage.
Ballistol is mostly drug store mineral oil, do that you want with that knowledge.
I do use some ballistol for dry patch lube

I'm usually well stocked, but at the point where my cleaning supplies are running low. I shoot multiple long and short BP arms quite often and therefore clean a lot of guns and go through a fair amount of cleaning and lubricating products. I've been buying Balllitol (love it) and various brands of designated gun oil for years, but like all things gun-related, even cleaning supplies are now overpriced. I'm on a quest to maximize the money spent on the enjoyable part of the hobby - shooting, as opposed to the unenjoyable parts - like cleaning.

I don't have time to mix my own concoctions, currently clean with hot water, abandoned the need for bore butter and other excessively priced solutions years ago, and use a coating of oil to protect bores and chambers from rust. So, I'm no purist and not in need of ideas on that end. However, I'm looking to replace Ballistol and gun oil with bulk products to advance my quest - like 0W synthetic motor at $8 a quart as an example.

What bulk and readily available products do you use for cleaning and lubricating?
Like several other 'old timer' replies, hot water with some dish soap (Dawn &c.) and any oil- motor, automotive products, 4 in 1, solid Crisco &c., but no cooking oil works for me. Been ML since the late [19]60s. I'm in a dry 10-15% avg climate. A often as you shoot, lubing shouldn't be an issue for rust prevention & making things work. Just my $0.02 (adjusted for inflation) worth.

50 years I have only cleaned with water and some kind of detergent. In recent years, I have found I like Dawn dishwasher stuff the best. Clean, swab dry, oil with yer favorite stuff. Despite the nay sayers, I have had good results with WD-40 but now protect with Barricade. Expensive initially, yes. But one can lasts a long time, not so expensive in long run. Cheap, figuring it protects yer firelocks.

In thinking of a bulk replacement for balistol, I come up short. But If I used just Hot water, (Modern guns get Simple green and hot water) I could get lard in a large can in the hispanic foods department at wally world. After properly cleaning the bore, and drying, then a greasy patch down the barrel should do the trick. If the parts are still hot from the water, the excess will run of the internals. Or just warm up the oven, (winter time) or place in the sun. wipe down and shoot. The pure lard should work well.
Ed's Red will eat a wood finish that is anything other than just oils.

I have a jar that's a mix of equal parts ATF, Diesel, and mineral spirits. To that Mineral spirits by itself is a great cleaner. Takes Cosmoline off the old military stored arms quite well and doesn't harm any of the finishes.

I'm usually well stocked, but at the point where my cleaning supplies are running low. I shoot multiple long and short BP arms quite often and therefore clean a lot of guns and go through a fair amount of cleaning and lubricating products. I've been buying Balllitol (love it) and various brands of designated gun oil for years, but like all things gun-related, even cleaning supplies are now overpriced. I'm on a quest to maximize the money spent on the enjoyable part of the hobby - shooting, as opposed to the unenjoyable parts - like cleaning.

I don't have time to mix my own concoctions, currently clean with hot water, abandoned the need for bore butter and other excessively priced solutions years ago, and use a coating of oil to protect bores and chambers from rust. So, I'm no purist and not in need of ideas on that end. However, I'm looking to replace Ballistol and gun oil with bulk products to advance my quest - like 0W synthetic motor at $8 a quart as an example.

What bulk and readily available products do you use for cleaning and lubricating?
Diluted laundry detergent. It's formulated to get human grime out of cloth. It will dissolve BP residue.

You can go to the Dollar store and for $1.25 you can select from all sorts of soaps for dishwashing. They all work. Some think Dawn dish washing soap works better. Only a small amount of soap is adequate for cleaning black powder (and most substitutes) fouling along with any oils or grease used. I've even seen small bottles of Murphy's oil soap on the shelves.

I use Dustin’s method of water and Ballistol. Simple, fast and effective:

Cleaning becomes simpler if one has an action shield installed in the hammer and thick grease in the internals to keep out fowling.

I got away from specific, name brand gun care products of all kinds with the thought that what if they suddenly became unavailable, as did happen over the last 2 years and is still happening, or if we were unable to order and ship products from just anywhere at anytime. I've found there are many products on the market that will take the place of high-dollar gun care products and are easier to get hold of. I enjoy trying new products for cleaning, lubrication, and rust protection and so far, have not had any that were truly bad, just different.

I got away from specific, name brand gun care products of all kinds with the thought that what if they suddenly became unavailable, as did happen over the last 2 years and is still happening, or if we were unable to order and ship products from just anywhere at anytime. I've found there are many products on the market that will take the place of high-dollar gun care products and are easier to get hold of. I enjoy trying new products for cleaning, lubrication, and rust protection and so far, have not had any that were truly bad, just different.
Exactly why I buy in bulk.

Good grief. Cleaning a m/l gun is soooo simple. We tend to place way too much emphasis on it. WATER! Creek water, tap water, bottled water, lake water, bath water. Just water. It need not even be hot. The only advantage to hot water is that it dries quicker. The two most over touted products are Ballistol and Dawn. Neither are that special. They work fine but I have cleaned my b/p guns since 1972 with water. However, sloshing and swabbing with alcohol will definitely get rid of moisture. Almost any oil will prevent rust if you plan to not shoot for a while.

Good grief. Cleaning a m/l gun is soooo simple. We tend to place way too much emphasis on it. WATER! Creek water, tap water, bottled water, lake water, bath water. Just water. It need not even be hot. The only advantage to hot water is that it dries quicker. The two most over touted products are Ballistol and Dawn. Neither are that special. They work fine but I have cleaned my b/p guns since 1972 with water. However, sloshing and swabbing with alcohol will definitely get rid of moisture. Almost any oil will prevent rust if you plan to not shoot for a while.
But Mike, if everybody does that (which works) there wouldn’t be anything to post and comment about. ;)

Back