• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Dumb Mistake!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigman

Pilgrim
Reaction score
After our hunt last fall. I did not discharge my .50 Lyman Deerstalker muzz. It currently has 90 grains of pyrodex with .50 lead in it. Now what? Safe to discharge? Take it to a gun smith?

Make sure the ball's still seated on the powder and cap it up and shoot it.
If it don't shoot, pour enough water down the barrel and let it sit long enough to kill the Pyro, then get a ball puller and pull the ball.
Hope the barrel was clean when you loaded it. :hmm:

Use a CO2 discharger to remove the load.......... safe and easy. Once you have removed the load with the discharger make sure you use a scraper to remove any powder that may have remained then clean that puppy real good.

Here's a trick that I used that will not scratch up the barrel or make you cuss the paint off the wall. I stuck a ball in a CVA and it would not pull out with a puller and it would not blow out with compressed air. So I unscrewed the nipple and replaced it with a grease fitting with the same thread pitch. Then I hooked a grease gun to the fitting and pushed the ball out with a few pumps. You will have to wash the grease out of the barrel, but,hey, it's easy to swab grease out. You can use brake cleaner to do the final degreasing. Lots of luck, Shannon

Just shoot it out as long as the ball is on the charge it should go, may not be as stout of a load as pyro sometimes looses poop, I used to leave revolvers loaded for 6 months to a year then shoot and clean and reload.

is the rifle has been in the dry it should fire, try a cap or several, it should light off. if not remove nipple and check it out and dump few grains powder in the flash channel and try again. if nothing use ball screw puller. after dumping some thin lube down barrel.(WD-40 OR Marvel Mystery oil.

Back