• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

DUDE, SMOKED HIM!!!???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to see so many taking time to recognize our Creator. We need to mention him while we still can.

Jack

I just want to make sure I haven't been doing things wrong to this point.

You see, I've been watching a few deer hunting videos on the world wide web lately. It seems that 90% of them contain fist pumping, with screams of "DUDE, DUDE, DUDE", and "SMOKED HIM"!! Also popular is " Now THAT'S what I'm talking about"!!! after a kill shot.

Viewed one video this evening, where a poor guy seemingly became instantly possessed after shooting a buck. There's not enough money in Indiana to have swayed me to want to be within 5 miles of the fellow in the several minutes that followed his pulling the trigger.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose. That's why they build both Chevys and Fords, but, i 'm concerned that I'm missing something, having never reacted with such gusto after taking game.

What say you, dudes? (Nope, doesn't feel right here, either).

Best regards, Skychief.
I don’t watch any more, mostly they center around the killing (at a bait, from a permanent stand) of a nutritionally and genetically manipulated, movie star deer ( been on trail cams for years) with a catchy name. It is an insult to anyone who actually ‘hunts’ anymore. They are very well sponsored so lots of bucks at stake, no pun intended.

I’ve never been one for all the hooting and hollering after a successful shot, but after several decades, I still feel an inner sense elation, appreciation, and achievement. Should the day ever come when this is not the case, it may very well spell the end of my hunting days.

Last edited:
Gotta mention one thing that nobody seems to have touched on. I have been predominantly a game bird hunter, just as my father was before me. The Old Man had me fetching birds and empties long before I was old enough to carry a gun. My first year at 12 years old when he turned me loose with a single barrel shotgun is carved in stone in my memory. There is a raise in my blood pressure whenever a game bird takes flight, it is something about the calls and the wing beats that moves me. A successful clean shot, taken fairly, is the pinnacle of the experience. When I no longer feel that flush in my face when the birds are getting up, I will hang up the shot bag, flask, and wads and be done with it.

It has surprised me how far the commercialization of hunting has gone, when I started at around 10 years old, I walked into the woods wearing an old shirt and my well faded (from use, not store bought) blue jeans with high top white (formerly white) Keds on my feet. I carried an old Stevens bolt action 22 that my dad bought a chance on and won in the early 50s, I still have the gun. I sat at the base of a tree to look for game.

I still hunt much the same way as I did as kid, I do need a comfortable strap on tree seat, two broken backs, back fusion and a replaced hip makes sitting on the ground impossible.

Now the elite hunter dons his state of the art camo that has been stored in a scent removal motorized air filtered bag, drives his $50K 4X4 truck pulling a $15K side by side ATV to ride to his $5K elevated fiberglass hunting house that his 20 well dispersed WIFI accessible trail cameras told him was a good spot overlooking acres of planted bait to insure maximum antler potential of the resident bucks. Of course he has a $300 ozone generator to get rid of his scent, a heater in the shooting house and a pile of corn within 30 yards of the blind. Give me a break!

Last edited:
Has anyone used an old Canvas Hammock tied between a couple of trees as a hunting chair. Could die the white canvas with Beet Juice and it would be light and comfy, could use it as a Drag to get the deer out of the woods with a couple guys pulling it if you tied the deer into it. could even use a block & Tackle to pull the deer up steep hills. I need to find an Canvas Hammock. Cheap. Strong, Brass or Stainless Steel Grommets Maybe Sunbrella? it would also be good to make it big enough to keep the snow & rain off you while your hunting. Something like this maybe?

Beach Hammock.jpeg

Last edited:

You see, I've been watching a few deer hunting videos on the world wide web lately. It seems that 90% of them contain fist pumping, with screams of "DUDE, DUDE, DUDE", and "SMOKED HIM"!! Also popular is " Now THAT'S what I'm talking about"!!! after a kill shot.

Viewed one video this evening, where a poor guy seemingly became instantly possessed after shooting a buck. There's not enough money in Indiana to have swayed me to want to be within 5 miles of the fellow in the several minutes that followed his pulling the trigger.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose. That's why they build both Chevys and Fords, but, i 'm concerned that I'm missing something, having never reacted with such gusto after taking game.

Best regards, Skychief.

You have to know that there is a producer standing behind the camera telling the "hunter" to show "how great it is". I was at a game ranch where some people were doing a commercial about their rifle. Well, after 3 shots and the animal dying by falling off a cliff, it was a wrap. I would bet that the commercial has the "hunter" fist pumping at the end of the first shot.

Has anyone used an old Canvas Hammock tied between a couple of trees as a hunting chair. Could die the white canvas with Beet Juice and it would be light and comfy, could use it as a Drag to get the deer out of the woods with a couple guys pulling it if you tied the deer into it. could even use a block & Tackle to pull the deer up steep hills. I need to find an Canvas Hammock. Cheap. Strong, Brass or Stainless Steel Grommets Maybe Sunbrella? it would also be good to make it big enough to keep the snow & rain off you while your hunting. Something like this maybe?

View attachment 98493
If you want to hunt whales and dolphins, that would be fine.

That's probably about right. I'm also tolerant. I'll tolerate bad people and their choices, if it is their own. If they want to bottle them selves up because they think excitement is a bad then, then I don't care. As long as you aren't trying to force that upon others, as some in this thread are, then it's none of my concern.

Ultimately I'm realizing this thread is not as it seems. It seems people aren't angry that hunters are happy when they kill. It seems people have a problem with the way anyone under 60 years old talks, which I don't even know what to say about that. As someone somehow found out, and pointed out, I'm 27 years old. I hear WAY more 40-50 year old's say Bro/Dude than I ever heard from my generation. Especially dude, I considered that a hippie thing.

Myself, I've been known to let out from a "right on" all the way to a "yee haw". If you've got a problem with the words I use, then you've got problems way beyond what I know about.
For some of us hunting is a spiritual experience. We have reverence for the animal and the forest around us. We also have an emotional reaction to the killing. Yelling and doing a goofy dance is crass and gives anti-hunters the sense that hunters and hunting are bad things. And once again, calling people that you don't agree with bad is despicable. Still, you are very, very young and perhaps there is hope that you will eventually grow out of it. The snarkiness may well be a genetic thing.

View attachment 98493
You are onto an idea I have played with. While employed in the plastic industry for several years in Western OR it occurred to me to get a full 4 x 8 ft. 1/8 in thick sheet of black repro UHMW and fit one end up like a toboggan with a pull rope. Then make some way to secure the critter on it. It could be winched or pulled, and would conform to the ground and slide easily on most any terrain. The thought occurred to me when I helped three other guys get 600 lbs of coast elk two miles out of the rain forest to the nearest road, but I never tried it.

Being a Disabled Veteran, I can no longer go hiking off int rugged wilderness as my body cant take it. I cant drag a deer out of the woods by myself so Im limited to hunting old logging roads or hiking trails that are not to rugged. saw this idea and it would work. might wouln be better with 2 bycical wheels , foldable rear legs and it could double as a Chair and a rifle rack on it and coffee thermos cup holder to wheel in a backpack with survival gear and wheel out a Deer. anyone up to making a few? Florescent Orange would be best Walt [email protected]

20344.jpg

Hunting Whales and Dolpins I would just use my Boat. You do need a "Special Permit" Strangly enough National Marine Fisheries sends me a letter every year that says you can Kill Marie Mammals, but Only in Self Defense. I have seen and Dove with thousands of Whales, Dolpins and never once has one attached me. They never brought me a Harpoon Ale either so I dont think they really care about Humans all that much.

It has surprised me how far the commercialization of hunting has gone, when I started at around 10 years old, I walked into the woods wearing an old shirt and my well faded (from use, not store bought) blue jeans with high top white (formerly white) Keds on my feet. I carried an old Stevens bolt action 22 that my dad bought a chance on and won in the early 50s, I still have the gun. I sat at the base of a tree to look for game.

I still hunt much the same way as I did as kid, I do need a comfortable strap on tree seat, two broken backs, back fusion and a replaced hip makes sitting on the ground impossible.

Now the elite hunter dons his state of the art camo that has been stored in a scent removal motorized air filtered bag, drives his $50K 4X4 truck pulling a $15K side by side ATV to ride to his $5K elevated fiberglass hunting house that his 20 well dispersed WIFI accessible trail cameras told him was a good spot overlooking acres of planted bait to insure maximum antler potential of the resident bucks. Of course he has a $300 ozone generator to get rid of his scent, a heater in the shooting house and a pile of corn within 30 yards of the blind. Give me a break!
You nailed it.

Best regards, Skychief.

I cannot watch those kinds of hunting shows because the behaviors of the idiots on camera disgust me.
The “ hunters “ ( who are usually attempting ridiculous shots using every electronic hunting aid known to man ) with bipods, tripods, and scopes that are half as log as the gun barrel almost entirely remove the human factor from the “ hunt “.
Makes my blood boil.

Last edited:
Sure, sometimes a bad shot is made, so what? Take a look in the mirror.
There's a big difference between "making" a bad shot, which anyone can do despite their best efforts not to, and TAKING a bad shot, which is a poor shot angle or other situation that a true sportsman passes on while they wait for a good, quick-killing shot. ☮

For some of us hunting is a spiritual experience. We have reverence for the animal and the forest around us. We also have an emotional reaction to the killing. Yelling and doing a goofy dance is crass and gives anti-hunters the sense that hunters and hunting are bad things. And once again, calling people that you don't agree with bad is despicable. Still, you are very, very young and perhaps there is hope that you will eventually grow out of it. The snarkiness may well be a genetic thing.

And yet here you are, calling me names for disagreeing with you. Despicable, crass, goofy, snarky, young (that's an insult now?). Apparently I was born yesterday by your standards. Anything else you want to call me while you are at it? All I did was call a spade a spade.

Back