• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

DUDE, SMOKED HIM!!!???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As Britsmoothy so eloquently mentioned, it's utter nonsense and it's embarrassing. I remember getting pretty wound up and shouting when I was 15 years old and killed my first buck because I thought I was supposed to. Afterwards I was kind of embarrassed of myself. (I actually don't recall and I may have been younger than 15). If the average 13-year-old knows that shouting and getting wound up over a harvest is silly, it's hard to imagine why these TV types don't realize it as well. Maybe it sells to this generation, I'm not sure.

Nothing against city folks , but I think the fake TV hunting trips are over watched by them , and since they have no real experience they react as though on TV , if they kill a deer. My other son brought a younger than us old timers hunter , to camp last Buck season. The fellow actually killed a really big 10 point and elected to cut it into quarters , and put it on ice for the trip back to the city. Us two old timers got out our knives , hung the buck on the meat pole and completed the cutting mission in about an hour. The newbee filmed the entire process and is still talking about how two old fa-ts quickly put the critter in bags , and on ice in a cooler. He was clueless and it's not his fault. The TV hunters don't show the rest of the story. .................oldwood

I have thought about this topic a lot lately, it is a monkey see monkey do kind of thing.

Back when bass fishing first came on the TV, Roland Martin would catch a fish and say "SON. SON, SON" as he reeled the fish in.

Shortly there after I took guys fishing and they repeated the same words when they caught a fish. Why, because people pick up on speech patterns and they adopt them as their own. How many of you insert "Basically" or Like" unnecessarily into your speech pattern, prime examples.

I like to watch some hunting shows but turn one off when they dance around, laugh and high five after the shot, they may cry like a baby(some do) and act the fool.

My current pet peeve is the use of the word "Baby", as in "that's what I am talking about "baby", more monkey see monkey do stuff.

It would give me the creeps if some guy referred to me "baby". A gal can do it all day long and I would like, it as in "hey baby, want to go over to my place and get cozy", sounds good to me.

One thing to remember, most but but not all of the TV hunters are actors, they create a persona and pretty much follow a script to project that persona during the filming. These are infomercials, they need to stir up and excite the audience (like the Price is Right) to peddle their sponsor's products.

These guys may project a down home image but I have friends who happened on them in the field in Kansas and other places. My friends said without exception these " hunting show stars" where the biggest horses behinds they ever met outdoors.

Some of the youtube hunting channels like "The Hunting Public" are the real deal, hard work to take an animal, no product pushing and close to the real hunting experience that we all know.

Last edited:
That's Ted Nugent, he's been saying that since at least the 70's. I feel pretty safe saying he has done more in his life for hunting, conservation, and hunter recruitment than all of us in this thread combined.
Uncle Ted has also hurt the hunting world as much as he has helped. I have several friends who are more anti-hunting now than ever because they dislike him so much. I love his music, but he just "too much" for me.

I skipped a heck of a lot of high school to go out hunting, fishing and trapping. I took mainly squirrels and woodchucks but I also took the occasional muskrat, snapping turtle (delicious soup) and others. Whatever I shot I ate and I made things from the pelts and/or bones. Now I'm older and don't care to kill animals. I still love walking threw the woods and I still love guns, reloading and shooting but now I shoot paper. I was more excited while in the hunt than the actual shot. I don't care that other folks hunt. I just hope the animal they bag doesn't go to waste.

I truly do understand the sentiment and agree to some extent. I think much of what you say has to do with a person age and the amount game taken. When I was younger there was most certainly a adrenalin rush when I made a kill, but it has dwindled over the years and kills. Now when the shot is fired and the game is down there is very little rush but I took my first deer 54 years ago and I'm not sure how many since.
I agree Andy52.

Ted Nugent is also a patriot and rabid 2nd amendment advocate. That's why a lot of folks hate him. I rather like his "in your face " 2nd amendment attitude. I've known too many university types that "love the outdoors" , but can't stomach killing animals for food. Brain washed fools. I've discussed all this with a couple of them , and no rational explanations will satisfy their idiocy. Having a silver spoon in their mouth from birth , assures their failure. They have to be pitied.....Sorry , I'min the weeds, again........oldwood

I agree with Ted 100%. But i dont think that in your face attitude helps. How do you react when someone anti 2nd amendment is 'in your face' with their point of view? I know it makes me want to choke them. But, it helps no one see another side of an issue, and makes things worse in a lot of cases.

I just want to make sure I haven't been doing things wrong to this point.

You see, I've been watching a few deer hunting videos on the world wide web lately. It seems that 90% of them contain fist pumping, with screams of "DUDE, DUDE, DUDE", and "SMOKED HIM"!! Also popular is " Now THAT'S what I'm talking about"!!! after a kill shot.

Viewed one video this evening, where a poor guy seemingly became instantly possessed after shooting a buck. There's not enough money in Indiana to have swayed me to want to be within 5 miles of the fellow in the several minutes that followed his pulling the trigger.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose. That's why they build both Chevys and Fords, but, i 'm concerned that I'm missing something, having never reacted with such gusto after taking game.

What say you, dudes? (Nope, doesn't feel right here, either).

Best regards, Skychief.

I feel a bit of exhilaration at making a good, clean, safe, one shot kill. As I approach the animal, be it cottontail or elk, I feel some regret at having taken the life of this remarkable, sentient creature. This morphs into determination to make the most possible use of the carcass.

Twenty plus years ago I killed a big six point elk. After going through the above stages, my next thought was "Why was I so foolish as to shoot it in the nether regions of Bottomless Canyon?".

So IF I'm with somebody and see their shot, I will tell them if it's a good one, but since this is under Traditional Muzzleloader Hunting, let me point out that I don't make any noise after the single shot. I'm hoping the deer if it didn't drop will only go a short distance and collapse. I don't need to spook it or spook it's friends and it runs to keep up. That bang is enough as is (imho). IF I get really lucky, a straggler may wander through after I've reloaded..., a healthy YAHOO after taking a shot will greatly discourage that possibility.

Regarding hunting "shows" vs. videos... I think when the "hunters" are several hundred yards from the buck, inside a blind, and are whispering, that's just stupid. Especially after crankin' off something modern, high powdered, and shoulder jarring....

The last hunting show I watched the guys were in a tower and the buck was 300 yards away, and they were quietly whispering....
I used to watch hunting shows, but they seem to now be more 30 minute infomercials about the different gear the guys are toting, and not really about hunting....

LD

As Britsmoothy so eloquently mentioned, it's utter nonsense and it's embarrassing. I remember getting pretty wound up and shouting when I was 15 years old and killed my first buck because I thought I was supposed to. Afterwards I was kind of embarrassed of myself. (I actually don't recall and I may have been younger than 15). If the average 13-year-old knows that shouting and getting wound up over a harvest is silly, it's hard to imagine why these TV types don't realize it as well. Maybe it sells to this generation, I'm not sure.

It absolutely blows my mind that in this day and age that this kind of thinking still exists. I'm just going to say you are 100% wrong, and it is wrong of you to suggest that others suppress their emotions because you don't feel comfortable with your own.

It absolutely blows my mind that in this day and age that this kind of thinking still exists. I'm just going to say you are 100% wrong, and it is wrong of you to suggest that others suppress their emotions because you don't feel comfortable with your own.
Are you saying that the way he feels about a kill is wrong? Because he doesn't feel and react just like you do? Its sure must be nice to have absolute certainty about everything! and before you're even 30 years old! Thats awesome, when i was 27 i didnt know💩.

"If the average 13-year-old knows that shouting and getting wound up over a harvest is silly" -Ganggreen

If you believe this, you are a bad person. We should not be promoting bottling up emotions. That's the fast track to living a sad, miserable life. The fact that he felt embarrassed is simply sad, he never had a chance.

Back