• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

DUDE, SMOKED HIM!!!???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I just want to make sure I haven't been doing things wrong to this point.

You see, I've been watching a few deer hunting videos on the world wide web lately. It seems that 90% of them contain fist pumping, with screams of "DUDE, DUDE, DUDE", and "SMOKED HIM"!! Also popular is " Now THAT'S what I'm talking about"!!! after a kill shot.

Viewed one video this evening, where a poor guy seemingly became instantly possessed after shooting a buck. There's not enough money in Indiana to have swayed me to want to be within 5 miles of the fellow in the several minutes that followed his pulling the trigger.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose. That's why they build both Chevys and Fords, but, i 'm concerned that I'm missing something, having never reacted with such gusto after taking game.

What say you, dudes? (Nope, doesn't feel right here, either).

Best regards, Skychief.

I normally don't have anyone around to hoot and holler with anyway and I've never tried to record any of my hunts. I stay focused on the hunt and the shot until the prey is down, after that the realization enters my mind that the fun is now over and the work begins. Most of the deer I've taken come from islands on the Mississippi river that I access by canoe. Once the deer is down I have to drag it to the boat load it up, paddle back to my truck, load the canoe and deer in the truck, take it home and process it.

I feel bad for some of you guys, and not just this thread, there's an exact same one on Castboolits. There's nothing wrong with giving thanks, or even feeling for the animal. Not being excited about success though, that's sad. If when you finally see an animal go down, or at least know you made a perfect shot, and you aren't immediately hit with the strongest emotions you can experience in life, then I'm sorry. You are missing out on 75% of hunting. It's that singular moment of pure intensity, that can only be matched by 2 other things I've seen in life, maybe a third.

Now I'm not saying you should howl at the moon, but what is wrong with being happy? I've seen more than one first time hunters break down in tears of joy. I normally hunt alone, but with others, high fives and hugs SHOULD BE a normal happy reaction to all the work you just put in. What comes after is enjoyable in it's own way, but it is a slow, grinding burn.

I feel bad for some of you guys, and not just this thread, there's an exact same one on Castboolits. There's nothing wrong with giving thanks, or even feeling for the animal. Not being excited about success though, that's sad. If when you finally see an animal go down, or at least know you made a perfect shot, and you aren't immediately hit with the strongest emotions you can experience in life, then I'm sorry. You are missing out on 75% of hunting. It's that singular moment of pure intensity, that can only be matched by 2 other things I've seen in life, maybe a third.

Now I'm not saying you should howl at the moon, but what is wrong with being happy? I've seen more than one first time hunters break down in tears of joy. I normally hunt alone, but with others, high fives and hugs SHOULD BE a normal happy reaction to all the work you just put in. What comes after is enjoyable in it's own way, but it is a slow, grinding burn.
Not saying i dont enjoy the hunt and the kill, just that theres a moment of something else there too. Whether its sadness at taking a life so that i can eat or thinking about my own mortality, or whatever. Im not missing out on the joy and exhilaration of the hunt, but acknowledging that there is more to it.

Ive never felt 'super pumped' about killing something. There's always a little bit of sadness mixed with the adrenaline after the shot. If i cant find it right away, I've considered giving up hunting rather than wounding another animal.

Work in a slaughter house a few years, the smell of death and the killing will turn your stomach. I got to really hungry before I kill anything or have multiple use for the carcass. I am a firm believer in selective harvest to help the species flourish. I have no hard feelings toward honest harvesting with good intentions. Just sometimes the human species gets over anxious and kill crazy. Should save that trait for politicians.

Work in a slaughter house a few years, the smell of death and the killing will turn your stomach. I got to really hungry before I kill anything or have multiple use for the carcass. I am a firm believer in selective harvest to help the species flourish. I have no hard feelings toward honest harvesting with good intentions. Just sometimes the human species gets over anxious and kill crazy. Should save that trait for politicians.

I did my share of butchering, although not on a commercial level. It was a joke in the show, but Ron Swanson is 100% correct. Not enough people look their dinner in the eye. The older I get, the more I want to kill everything I eat. I'm about 90% there, I don't buy store bought beef, chicken, or turkey anymore. Once in a while I'll have a hamburger. I do buy a lot of fish like Tuna and Salmon, but if I could catch those here, I would.

I truly do understand the sentiment and agree to some extent. I think much of what you say has to do with a person age and the amount game taken. When I was younger there was most certainly a adrenalin rush when I made a kill, but it has dwindled over the years and kills. Now when the shot is fired and the game is down there is very little rush but I took my first deer 54 years ago and I'm not sure how many since.

Some where I an article that I saved from Out Door Life. It talks about the various stages we go through as we progress in life as a hunter. Start with "if it flys it dies" to I just enjoy watching the dogs work and being with friends.

Fleener

Back