• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

DUDE, SMOKED HIM!!!???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I finally figured out about those hunting videos is that those yahoos have to make those mile long shots on deer or elk because they can't stalk any closer what with all that loud and obnoxious "music" they play. I should add that since I don't have TV I only watch those videos when I'm a captive audience at someone's house. Kind of like the NFL. When I do kill something, be it a deer or a dove, I do give a little thanks for the upcoming meals.

Back in 1995 I leased a ranch in West Texas and started a business deer hunting. Had a very successful first and last year that changed my mind about hunting in general. Deer hunting hasn't been the same since, I cannot even watch those videos anymore. My brother and I started a quail preserve against my better judgement and the same thing happened to him. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I think there's a difference between excitement/feeling accomplishment vs appearing to be disrespectful to the game. For the most part, hunting videos have gotten almost stomach churning and I don't watch many anymore. It has become more and more common over the years, especially on bow videos, that very poor shot angles are taken followed by "it was the only shot I had...we'll have to leave him overnight." No thought about what they just intentionally did to that animal with the pain and sickness it will suffer from a gut shot. As long as they "get it tomorrow" it's OK for them as they high-five over it late the next day when they finally find it and it's probably unconsumable by that point. Well how about PASSING bad shot angles? Oh, but I forget, this is about shooting something on camera no matter how it's done. THAT makes me sick.

Aspects of hunting change over the years, for me when much younger it was a deer on the ground, I would approach the animal and study it a bit think of what just happened and get on with the real work. Now it is more a wit game how close can I get, where is the best shot for qiuck kill, give thanks for the animal that lies at my feet, i have also become more into older deer, last year I watched at least 6 different bucks hunting before I decided on the one I shot, it has amazed me that the animal a few moments ago was walking around doing what deer do and now he is dead, makes one think of how precious life is and makes me wonder of my own mortality. We all hunt for different reasons and should not judge others or there reactions, with that being said I also do not watch too many hunting shows, as stated it is a business, just like I do not watch pro sports too much hype.

I honestly have no idea what you guys are talking about. Maybe there are some goofballs making amateur's videos, but I quite enjoy hunting shows. Michael Waddell, Ted Nugent, Steve Rinella, Tim Wells, Melissa Bachman. I love watching all of them. Sure, sometimes a bad shot is made, so what? Take a look in the mirror.

I've put a lot of deer in the freezer , here in Pa. in my lifetime of hunting. We never jumped around and celebrated graphically over a kill , but simply listen to the story of what had happened and congratulate the hunter. About 10 yrs. ago , I met a new neighbor . He was a Navajo Indian from Az.. We went deer hunting and my new friend killed a deer. I put out my hand to congratulate him . He however got down on one knee next to the deer , and said a Navajo prayer for the deer's soul , and thanked God for his generosity . I was impressed. He next poured some water into the deer's mouth . He said the water was the deer's last drink. Then he stood up and accepted my congratulations and told me the story. He and I have killed a number of deer since we met , and my friend consistently performs the blessing ritual . Ok with me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,oldwood

I just want to make sure I haven't been doing things wrong to this point.

You see, I've been watching a few deer hunting videos on the world wide web lately. It seems that 90% of them contain fist pumping, with screams of "DUDE, DUDE, DUDE", and "SMOKED HIM"!! Also popular is " Now THAT'S what I'm talking about"!!! after a kill shot.

Viewed one video this evening, where a poor guy seemingly became instantly possessed after shooting a buck. There's not enough money in Indiana to have swayed me to want to be within 5 miles of the fellow in the several minutes that followed his pulling the trigger.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose. That's why they build both Chevys and Fords, but, i 'm concerned that I'm missing something, having never reacted with such gusto after taking game.

What say you, dudes? (Nope, doesn't feel right here, either).

Best regards, Skychief.

I think it’s just a product of the “professional hunters” with TV shows trying to outdo one another on camera. My guess is that if they weren’t being filmed, they wouldn’t act that way.

I'm not really into most hunting shows. Some folks seem to be "over acting" so it just isn't for me. I heard "Wack 'em and Stack 'em" on one video. I thought that was pretty tasteless.
I will say I was amazed at how fired up I was when I guided my son on an archery hunt and he took his first deer. Was the same on the first successful turkey hunt with him.

I think there's a difference between excitement/feeling accomplishment vs appearing to be disrespectful to the game. For the most part, hunting videos have gotten almost stomach churning and I don't watch many anymore. It has become more and more common over the years, especially on bow videos, that very poor shot angles are taken followed by "it was the only shot I had...we'll have to leave him overnight." No thought about what they just intentionally did to that animal with the pain and sickness it will suffer from a gut shot. As long as they "get it tomorrow" it's OK for them as they high-five over it late the next day when they finally find it and it's probably unconsumable by that point. Well how about PASSING bad shot angles? Oh, but I forget, this is about shooting something on camera no matter how it's done. THAT makes me sick.
So, is there a way to double like a comment?

I once smoked a squirrel at 5 feet with a .54 caliber head shot...i missed... caught completely off gaurd, the squirrel froze wide eyed and twitching in confusion; puzzled by the deafening thunder and a man stepping out of a smoke cloud...must have appeared to be some kind of wizard or something from his point of view...

Last edited:
I'm not really into most hunting shows. Some folks seem to be "over acting" so it just isn't for me. I heard "Wack 'em and Stack 'em" on one video. I thought that was pretty tasteless.
I will say I was amazed at how fired up I was when I guided my son on an archery hunt and he took his first deer. Was the same on the first successful turkey hunt with him.

That's Ted Nugent, he's been saying that since at least the 70's. I feel pretty safe saying he has done more in his life for hunting, conservation, and hunter recruitment than all of us in this thread combined.

It wasn't Ted. Not sure who the fellow was, some young fellow. Probably copying Ted. Wouldn't really matter, I'd find it tasteless regardless of who said it. It's just not how I think.
Ted's done some good stuff, was personally very nice, supportive and giving to my Soldiers when we were deployed. I can appreciate a fellow and still not appreciate everything they say or do.

Great thread. I, too, quit watching hunting videos some years ago. All the loud music blaring from speakers on the truck, the hollering and back thumping just seemed so "manufactured" and forced, like the killing was some damn ballgame win, and not the death of a living thing. For me and my hunting buddy a good kill brings smiles, handshakes and congratulations, followed by a few words to St. Hubert and the deer. And a piece of evergreen in its mouth, its last "mouthfull" -- an old Belgian thing.

Was there supposed to be some kind of video link with this thread at the beginning?

I can say when my oldest son was about 14 and he shot his first deer I was very excited for him. Hugs were given and all thanks to God was given.

I get hundered of Idjets that say that my Fishing trips are not real because I dont have a million pictures of them and Movies. Well first of all you can Not Navigate a Boat, Drive it safely, watch all the Gilligans doing stupid stuff. Fish and take pictures of yourself at the same time. I do have som good pictures that were taken by a professional photographer that I took out on an offshore Kayack Whale watch. he had about $100,000. worth of Hasslebland Cameras and some cheaper $10,000. waterproof nikons. he was shooting thousands of dollars in film. 1.25 in format and 35mm. he actually gave me a $500. waterproof for one of my cheap $1,000. Minolta SLR 35 mm cameras. His pictures made the cover of Atlantic Coastl Kayaker Magazine. he was the real thing. this is my boat, a couple Kayaks, we would take 8 to 12 at a time 30 miles offshore and a Finback Whale. Then I had a call fro a guy that had a TV Show on Fox 15 Mike Alprin. he wanted to bring a Camera Crew and film Big Game/Tuna/ Sharks offshore out of Glouseter. So we did a trip. The cost to run my boat at the time was about $1,000. per day. Yes Charter Trips are no cheap. we got about 20 miles offshore and his "professional Camera Crew broke out the Booze and did not know anything about filming" They brouke a bunch of stuff on my boat and I returned them to shore and called Fox 25 as I expected to be paid for the trip and damages. Fox told me he was not an employee but paid them to put his shw on once a week. He had done a promotion and raffled off a trip on my boat to his viewer, thats who his guys were. I was ******! Fox said they could not help me, but did cancell his show. so how are you supposed to Video Film a hunting show while your hunting or fishing. you Cant do it unlesss its all Fake and staged!
7975.jpg
7951.jpg
7989.jpg

Back