• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

DT's

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waiting for the next adventure from Britsmoothy! I love your stories Britsmoothy & your little side kick.
Thank you but I'm nothing special at all. I've been nursing gout for two weeks again. Work was painful!

I have monday off work next week and am planning a dawn to dusk foray afield with my Pedersoli double...that is ofcourse if life doesn't throw a skew ball my way!

Well folks it didn't really happen!
Well my monday off work was spent a field but I got very little.
Two squirrels! I missed the woodcock and the only two pheasants that lifted perfectly for me was when I was on the phone to my wife 🤦‍♂️, how many times has that happened but I never learn!
So I covered a few miles over six hours plus in the wind and rain for nothing really.
Here is the only photograph.
20201130_084417.jpg

The rain soaked gun bathed in salts from the fouling soon bloomed with rust. I think some worry pots call it flash rusting!
20201130_161030.jpg

I washed the barrels inside and out in warm water then poured a boiled kettle down them.
I yawned as I wiped the flash rust off the hot barrels, I contemplated how long I'll be dead before these barrels rot through from FLASH rust! I dried them out via a patch and heat and then lubricated the barrels inside and out and put it away. Simple.
Sorry it's a disappointment but it beats work and I would do it all again tomorrow if I could.

Brit....Hope you're not loosing any sleep for missing that Woodcock. Years ago my father and I hunted a low land woods with water puddles. My dad was slower on the draw than this kid. In the swampy woods ,even though our English Setter , Tiger , did a beyond stellar job of finding and pointing the birds , their "helicopter like" vertical takeoffs to get above the brush got the best of me. I could get rabbits , pheasants , Black ducks , etc . , but wasted lots of perfectly good lead shot on trying for Woodcocks.............oldwood

Well folks it didn't really happen!
Well my monday off work was spent a field but I got very little.
Two squirrels! I missed the woodcock and the only two pheasants that lifted perfectly for me was when I was on the phone to my wife 🤦‍♂️, how many times has that happened but I never learn!
So I covered a few miles over six hours plus in the wind and rain for nothing really.
Here is the only photograph.
View attachment 52474

The rain soaked gun bathed in salts from the fouling soon bloomed with rust. I think some worry pots call it flash rusting!
View attachment 52476
I washed the barrels inside and out in warm water then poured a boiled kettle down them.
I yawned as I wiped the flash rust off the hot barrels, I contemplated how long I'll be dead before these barrels rot through from FLASH rust! I dried them out via a patch and heat and then lubricated the barrels inside and out and put it away. Simple.
Sorry it's a disappointment but it beats work and I would do it all again tomorrow if I could.

Let's see, you were able to go hunting, you were able to get some meat for the pot, your shot gun was able to get out of the house, you talked with your wife while hunting, you made it hope safely and we were able to see more pictures from east of the pond.

Sounds like a good day to me. Beats looking up at the grave diggers.

The woodcock has always been my favourite game bird to eat especially when feeding in woodlands the taste can vary when they favour the sewage beds , here in the UK migrating birds from the continent generally arrive on the November full moon in my part of he UK we know it has a fall of woodcock . Sadly these falls are getting a lot less numbers although we have a UK breeding birds and some estates do not shoot them
Feltwad

Back