• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Drying damp powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK, this is an honest question. Obviously it is not a good idea to use heat other than sunshine. So, how about freeze drying?? I have noticed how ice cubes gradually dissapear in a frost free freezer and poorly sealed foods dessicate. I bet that powder, whether Black or substitute would dry out if left for a time in an unsealed container. Stir it daily and don't spill it.

Don't know anything about freeze drying. But I do know that silica beads are amazing Moisture Control items.

I know people, including myself, who have tens of thousands of dollars worth of cigars which are maintained at a set humidity for years and years.

Silica beads are also used to control the moisture content of the most precious works of art in the world.

0% RH silica beads would absorb all moisture in a methodical period of time.

Edited to add that 40% silica beads or Boveda packs should bring powder to a good ambient humidity.

Last edited:
It's not that hazardous to use gentle indirect heat. Put the powder on a skillet anti-spatter screen and set it near a heater vent. The powder companies use a similar drying method.

i dry my self made powder in a food dehydrator. always have and always will.

OH! THE HUMANITY!
I don't know if it's appropriate to ask someone how they make their own powder, but I would like to know if it is a major process?

have never tried to freeze BP, but it seems to me the water would be trapped in frozen form still bound to the other ingredients. being in a frost free freezer though just might dehydrate it.
never know until its tried.
Heck, in KFalls you could spread it on something out side! bet the humidity right now is zip! :D

Carefully disassemble a teabag, remove tea, replace with uncooked rice. Place powder in a container such as one of those screw top plastic food containers from Ziplock or Gladware, place rice bag in container, wait a few days.

You could potentially monitor how much moisture has been removed by weighing the powder on a powder scale (depending on the quantity we're talking about) before starting this process then again after a couple days. It should get lighter as it dries.

Water sublimates in cold conditions. I just am careful with containers. I do not let
powder sit unopened for longer that I need. Damp or clumpy powder I always
pitched out. However, now with these shortages ,I would try to dry it out best I could,
using a cookie pan and sunshine or warm air flow.

I got some free powder a couple of months ago and one can was clumpy and was damp. I took a large baking sheet and poured the powder on it, I then put screen on it. I have electric heat in my garage and turned it up and turned on a ceiling fan to circulate air. I stirred it and mashed the clumps up. I let it sit for three days and then put it an a sealed container. Have used it several times lately with no issues and it doesn't clump at all.

I remember reading about some trappers whose powder got wet. They actually ****** on it to add back nitrate that had been lost, then dried it in a pan over a camp fire slowly stirring it with a long stick . My self I would simply pour it out onto a wide metal pan and put it in a warm dry area stirring it every so often.

OK, this is an honest question. Obviously it is not a good idea to use heat other than sunshine. So, how about freeze drying?? I have noticed how ice cubes gradually dissapear in a frost free freezer and poorly sealed foods dessicate. I bet that powder, whether Black or substitute would dry out if left for a time in an unsealed container. Stir it daily and don't spill it.
Historically, drying damp or wet powder on spread out sheets of canvas or some other material in the sun. The Lewis and Clark expedition had to do this at least once. Was a pretty common practice.

Back