• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Dry balled my ML

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting test! I'm impressed. I had no idea that there would be that much force behind a dry ball. I'll certainly be careful where I fire my next dry patched ball with CO2. :thumbsup:

At 70 degrees F, CO2 obtains a gas pressure of 852.8 psi when confined in a vessel.

I accidentally ruptured one once...right in the face...Not something I want to repeat.

Colorado Clyde said:
At 70 degrees F, CO2 obtains a gas pressure of 852.8 psi when confined in a vessel....

Good post.

For those that don't know, CO2 is rather unique as a compressed gas at normal room temperatures. If the pressure is increased beyond the threshold pressure, the additional CO2 will not just increase in pressure (like it would if you were filling an air tank), but will drop out and turn in to a liquid. That's how they can sell CO2 tanks based upon liquid in the tank. The pressure won't begin to drop until all the liquid is out of it. Of course, that threshold pressure can and does change with temperature too.

When I made my Hawken .45 I made three tools to screw on the ramrod, one was from a cork screw to get out a lost patch, two was a small drill bit soldered to a bit of round brass to drill a hole in a lost ball, three was a wood screw in brass to screw into the drilled hole in the ball and T handle on rod, pulls em out. I`m glade I did this, I know dry balling saves a bit of powder, but things don`t go Bang!! when you want them to. :doh:

has anyone used the co2 discharger getting out a 58 caliber mini ball. did it work ok.

Latest posts

Back