• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dry balled my ML

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although in theory, black powder could be made to ignite if enough pressure was developed in the barrel during ramming the ball down on the powder, it is extremely unlikely.

The heat in this case is developed because of the compression of the air in the barrel, similar to the heated air from compression in a diesel engine.

In the case of releasing previously stored gas like letting some of it out of a CO2 cylinder, the reverse is the case.
The heating was done at the factory when they were pumping the gas into their tanks. There, it cooled before being placed into the CO2 cartridges.

When this compressed gas is expanded when it is released, it absorbs heat so, using a CO2 cartridge to blow something out of a barrel will chill the barrel and everything else it contacts in the area.

Hi & good morning on the last day of the year!
Most all of us have dry balled at least once.
There are some great remedies on getting a ball out of a gun.
But one thing we must stress to anyone with a ball stuck part way down the barrel, with a powder charge in the rifle.
NEVER EVER try to shoot it out.
Most times you will cause some kind of damage to a good barrel, a burst is possible, but most times it will be a small ring, or even bigger to a bulge. Then the barrel is almost useless.
Fred

i shoot them out too.

That method failed one time. It was not a dry ball. Another shooter at the range mistakenly loaded his rifle with Black Horn 209 powder and a tight fitting ball and patch. Of course he has a misfire.

Several times we forced powder into the flame channel and under the nipple and fired the cap: All attempts failed. We installed a musket cap nipple and forced more powder into the flame channel and under the nipple: That failed too.

We finally got the load out using the ball puller and a slide hammer made from a steel range rod and a big Crescent wrench.

Thar be but two kinds of traditional muzzle loader shoot' rs...., the kind that's dry balled, and the kind that has yet to dry ball. Among the first type are those that have used more than one way to get that ball out! At last count there are five ways, and I have used three of them.

Who can name all five ways?

LD

Pull the breech plug, clean everything out and melt the ball out in a forge.

I think this is pretty much an act of desperation as I would be tempted to heat the barrel red hot and wrap that outrageous thing around a tree.

Ok...one other thing to keep in mind. If you are taking the gun home and shooting the ball out into a pile of old carpeting,rags, etc,. Please make sure you put the rug, rags into a bucket of water or a fireproof container. Soaking the material with water before firing into it doesn't always squelch the Sparks. Don't ask me how I know this... :redface: :shake:

I use a CO2 discharger and have for a few years. It lives in my range box and stays in my possibles bag when hunting. Have used it on a couple of dry balls but it really shines in hunting camp at the end of the day if you want to load fresh powder and ball after hunting in wet conditions, instead of shooting out the old suspect load a CO2 rig will clear the charge without all out noise of a gunshot. My CO2 discharger came with an adapter to allow use on a flinter. Wouldn't leave home without it. Jim

Okie Hog said:
Several times we forced powder into the flame channel and under the nipple and fired the cap: All attempts failed. We installed a musket cap nipple and forced more powder into the flame channel and under the nipple: That failed too.
Sometimes, you may need to use the first load to push the ball forward enough to load more powder through the nipple seat, then seat the ball on the charge before shooting the ball out.

I haven't dry balled but I wet powdered once lmao charge just would not burn.... That was when I bought my first ball puller

The CO2 discharger really sold me. I'm thinking that the cold and maybe my dryer-than-normal patch and lube had a lot to do with my stuck ball. It was about 30 degrees on the day it happened. Never have had any trouble pulling a dry PRB when it's warm with a ball puller. This is my first cold-weather dry ball.

SgtMaj said:
The CO2 discharger really sold me.
Just for what the heck. I went to the range, hung a large cardboard backer on the target rails, proped up the Hawkens on a pair of bags, put a ball down the barrel (no patch) and blew it back out using the CO2 discharger. One very short blast. At 40 meters the ball hit the berm. So I ran another ball down the tube with a very thin patch, not sure how thin but the rod sent it down the barrel fairly easily. I chased this one out with a hearty blast from the CO2 discharger. The ball went to the berm between the top 2 rails (of a three rail target holder) and hit the berm with a resounding pop. I have no doubt now that the discharger could actually replace the powder and take small game, DRT. I was impressed. I was going to load a ball with my regular .018 patch, but decided not to do something I would regret later. I'll reserve that one for a situation that I have not experienced yet, a true dry ball!
Griz

Back