• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Dry ball idjit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I imagine the conversation when I'm not around goes something like this," Ole Mike shoots OK when he can remember to put some powder down behind the ball"! 😄 😄 😄

Well, I not only did it but twice, in same single shot pistol. Testing to see what size RB went down with patch on my pedersoli kentucky pistol and the ball fell in. Got distracted by person loading other pistol. Got back to kentucky and had a brain fart. Loaded powder and RB with patch. Added cap. At least the cap sounded good. Got home and saw ball and patch. Pulled ball/patch and powder. Why didn't the rod go all the way in??? Another ball. Tried another cap and again, enjoyed the noise of a good cap. Pulled the remaining ball and saw no powder. I should save those RBs.

Helped my neighbor build his first flint rifle , and was at the range. I got him loadin' , and shootin' , off the bench. I had my favorite .40 flinter and wanted to get a few practice shots down range. Soon, he said , Hey what do ya do if there 's no powder under the patch ball? So ,I explained how to pull a dry ball out as he watched. I also shot my mouth off saying I hadn't dry balled a gun in 20 years. Least until I primed my .40 and she flashed , w/ no bang. .................oldwood

Back