• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Drums Along the Mohawk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not the same era but a recent tv series called The Son, dealt with the Comanche and white settler, or Texicans as the Comanche called them, conflict. It was unflinching in its portrayal of the Comanche and just as unflinching in how it showed how the settlers retaliated. That era, I have read about, but I’m having difficulty finding one about the era portrayed in DATM. Anyone have a recommendation?

Many believe that the genuine flintlock that Henry Fonda is holding in the above photo, was also the same gun carried by Fess Parker in the latter 1960's Daniel Boone T.V. series. Could be (?) They believe the gun started life as a late 19th / early 20th Century Belgium trade gun. What looks like carvings on the wood stock were actually painted on.

I would disagree that movies about the 18th century were poorly made, prior to Last of the Mohicans. I think Stanley Kubrick's Barry Lyndon did an excellent job or portraying 18th century European life. Amadeus also depicted 18th century European life great attention to detail. LOTM is fun to watch but Hawkeye's rifle looks nothing like what a pre-revolutionary longrifle would have looked like. Hollywood isn't history. Thus whether you're watching Drums Along The Mohawk, Last of the Mohicans, Barry Lyndon or Amadeus, you're watch film adaptations of fictional novels or plays. The movies weren't produced as history lessons but with the intent to entertain and make money.
I’ve said this before, if I like the movie I can overlook a multitude of non historical things. Should I not like the movie the tiniest thing can set me off.
I just watched Grant and a few months ago Washington on the history channel and enjoyed them.
I’ve watched John Wayne’s Alamo and Commacheros many times, the Revenant once.
Drums across the Mohawk, Northwest Passage, Mutiny on the Bounty, Captain Blood were all great movies.

Latest posts

Back