• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Drum to Lock fit…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone’s replies has given me a lot to ponder, @Billy Boy slight contact is actually what I have. The “front” of the drum from about 3:00 down to 6:00 is slightly touching the lock plate. From 6:00 to 9:00 (the rear of the drum) there is a gap that increases from touching, to approximately 1/8”. Basically the drum is sitting forward a touch in the half circle in the lock plate, I hope this description makes sense.

@deermanok Here are the photos…

31433039-0A10-4F0F-9205-DD5B4706932C.jpeg2AFF19A6-D46B-45A8-881F-127BD15096E3.jpegCD2648FB-831F-40C3-BB6E-4393F1F15FDB.jpegC9BD857B-4E24-474F-9B4B-1102D5406675.jpeg

To me it seems like it is supported in the “direction of force from the hammer”….and the gap is minuscule under the drum. It’s only open on the backside of the drum.

Everyone’s replies has given me a lot to ponder, @Billy Boy slight contact is actually what I have. The “front” of the drum from about 3:00 down to 6:00 is slightly touching the lock plate. From 6:00 to 9:00 (the rear of the drum) there is a gap that increases from touching, to approximately 1/8”. Basically the drum is sitting forward a touch in the half circle in the lock plate, I hope this description makes sense.
For cosmetics the barrel could be set back a little, but the force of the hammer blow is in the direction of contact with the lock plate. Should be fine.

This is one of many reasons the underhammer is my favorite type of action. If the axis of the nipple and drum are perpendicular to the hammer's direction of impact, the drum won't experience any shock bending loads. Metal strength for short columns and threaded fasteners is (almost?) always highest in compression. JMO.

I built a Traditions Kentucky pistol, not the same firearm I know, but when I was finished building it, my bolster was just touching at the 3 o’clock position and gaping a bit at 9 o’clock. After running around 20 balls in front of 40 gr of 3F, Bingo! The bolster sits more or less in the center of the cradle. your mileage may very

Back