• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Drum to Lock fit…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkasprzak

40 Cal
Reaction score
I am in the process of assembling a Traditions Trapper kit and the nipple drum is touching the lock assembly when the barrel is installed. Is this correct or is there supposed to be some clearance between the two?

That's what I thought when I built my only drum and nipple rifle, and I worked hard to do it, but I have since on this forum that they shouldn't touch.

@Bighorserider That’s why I asked the question, on a patent breech with a snail I know no part of the barrel or snail should touch the lock assembly. Then I read on a drum and nipple barrel the lock plate supports the drum. Still not sure which it should be….thanks for the follow-up.

That's what I thought when I built my only drum and nipple rifle, and I worked hard to do it, but I have since on this forum that they shouldn't touch.
That's right, they shouldn't touch...
Can rectification of the drum with file or, much better, on a lathe. If the error is a bit important rest the old solution of a mini bedding under barrel with nerve glue, fish glue and sawdust or skin to stay like in the past (personally I do not like modern products)...

When building, the drum becomes a part of the barrel by screwing and must be free as the barrel when shooting. The function of the drum doesn't have anything to see with the lock plate...
In the case of permanent and pressed contact, then it can transmit the chocks and vibrations of the barrel to the plate, and so be a cause of tiredness of the two parts. That could be engaging the breaking of the drum because the lock plate can move in the stock but never the screwing in the barrel...
It's mechanical...

When building, the drum becomes a part of the barrel by screwing and must be free as the barrel when shooting. The function of the drum doesn't have anything to see with the lock plate...
In the case of permanent and pressed contact, then it can transmit the chocks and vibrations of the barrel to the plate, and so be a cause of tiredness of the two parts. That could be engaging the breaking of the drum because the lock plate can move in the stock but never the screwing in the barrel...
It's mechanical...
Disagree. With respect.

I've never seen a drum break off , but have seen a drum's threads get sloppy because the owner took it out for cleaning each time he shot the gun and cleaned it. Not supposed to do that. Custom M/l barrel steel is usually a lead bearing softer steel and the threads in the drum hole can be stressed...........oldwood

I think a lot depends on the thread size of the drum. I’ve seen 1/4-28, up to 3/8. Most drums are 1/2” in diameter. If you had a drum with say, 1/2-20 thread, I don’t think it would ever break. I have repaired guns with 1/4-20 thread that shot loose, by going to 5/16-18.

I am in the process of assembling a Traditions Trapper kit and the nipple drum is touching the lock assembly when the barrel is installed. Is this correct or is there supposed to be some clearance between the two?
The lock plate should make slight contact with drum. Otherwise the hammer blow is ultimately absorbed by the drum threads.

Back