Drum to Lock fit…

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

dkasprzak

40 Cal
Reaction score
Everyone’s replies has given me a lot to ponder, @Billy Boy slight contact is actually what I have. The “front” of the drum from about 3:00 down to 6:00 is slightly touching the lock plate. From 6:00 to 9:00 (the rear of the drum) there is a gap that increases from touching, to approximately 1/8”. Basically the drum is sitting forward a touch in the half circle in the lock plate, I hope this description makes sense.

rdane

40 Cal
Reaction score
Move the barrel back slightly. When all is bolted tight it will probably make contact all around.

deermanok

32 Cal.
Reaction score

dkasprzak

40 Cal
Reaction score
To me it seems like it is supported in the “direction of force from the hammer”….and the gap is minuscule under the drum. It’s only open on the backside of the drum.

Reaction score
Everyone’s replies has given me a lot to ponder, @Billy Boy slight contact is actually what I have. The “front” of the drum from about 3:00 down to 6:00 is slightly touching the lock plate. From 6:00 to 9:00 (the rear of the drum) there is a gap that increases from touching, to approximately 1/8”. Basically the drum is sitting forward a touch in the half circle in the lock plate, I hope this description makes sense.
For cosmetics the barrel could be set back a little, but the force of the hammer blow is in the direction of contact with the lock plate. Should be fine.

dkasprzak

40 Cal
Reaction score
Gonna give it a try the way it is…..thanks all for your responses!

GBG

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This is one of many reasons the underhammer is my favorite type of action. If the axis of the nipple and drum are perpendicular to the hammer's direction of impact, the drum won't experience any shock bending loads. Metal strength for short columns and threaded fasteners is (almost?) always highest in compression. JMO.

Latest posts