• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Drum nipple

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If there's a flintlock version of the same gun, yes, you can replace the drum with a liner and the caplock with a flintlock. If not, then it could still be done but would (or could) require a lot more work (finding a suitable flintlock and fitting it to the gun). I've considered doing this with my Pedersoli Harper's Ferry percussion pistol, as it uses a drum system and the lock from the flintlock version is the same dimensions as the percussion version, so it should be a relatively "drop-in" procedure.

edit: This is assuming that the hole for the drum lines up with the pan of the flintlock. Just thought of that, and there might be some adjustment required there as well.

Last edited:
Short answer yes, I've done it. Sometimes not worth it cost wise but we don't always do things because of cost or not do things because of coast. Just saying cost is a factor and the gun I did, the lock cost more than the whole gun. To each his or her own.

Depends on your rifle and who made it. If it is a CVA/Traditions rifle with the drum threads that go through the breech plug, then the conversion is something I don't recommend.

Zonie has provided a copy of the CVA/Traditions breech plug with the drilled through drum.

For those who don't know, this is what a CVA style Ardesa breech plug and drum look like. Ardesa makes the same guns for Traditions now that CVA has stopped importing them.

View attachment 49087
Expand the quote to see the attachment.

I've done it with two of my guns, a Pedersoli Frontier and a Hatfield. The Hatfield was originally a flint gun that I was able to convert to percussion using a drum & nipple and a Pedersoli Frontier percussion lock which virtually dropped in as these guns are almost identical. The Frontier was originally a percussion gun that I switched to flint using a L&R replacement lock which was durn near a drop in. I also converted a Lyman Great Plains flint lock to percussion using a custom made Mule ear percussion lock. I wanted to be able to switch from percussion to flint, or vice versa, pending the availability of real black powder.

Back