• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Draw hunts!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waiting.....
20200706_195922.jpg

When I traveled three days away in the summer, I put a freezer and a generator in the back of my truck. Came home and had to thaw out the meat at the butchers.

Crow Feather, we hunted Wyoming this past Oct. the antelope were processed at a local butcher shop shrink wrapped and pre frozen, when we departed we placed the meat in a large igloo cooler with 6 blocks of dry ice, taped the lid shut with duck tape, Stopped in South Dakota for a day of pheasant hunting and then a 2 day drive home. Meat was frozen solid when we got home, this was mid October. The freezer and generator ideal is a good one if you have the room, Also have a friend that used to do a lot of western hunting he would use a small freezer in the truck bed and when they stopped for the night would run a power cord from the room they were staying at.

Speaking of freezers. Has anyone else noticed a shortage of them? In rural New England where I live, the local big box stores are out of them and are saying at least 2-4 months before they see any stock and maybe not even until the fist of the year. I am no tin need myself, but I have had hunters that come in where I work asking and looking for them.

For those who have drawn out and may be in need of extra frozen storage, it may be a good idea to start checking around now.

110 for deer, and 55 for elk.

Unless you had one point to get a bull tag you got a cow tag for 55. You can get that cow tag every year unless they decide to cut the tags again. It used to go to a leftover but now it's a 2nd pick with no points. So, it's guaranteed as a 1st pick. I do the cow hunt every year. Along with a bear hunt.

I didn't mean I did the bear hunt in 55 too. I don't. The problem with bear hunting 55 is the bears are keyed into gunshots. They know a gunshot means dead game. They eat the gut piles and the meat tastes awful. Bears really take on the taste of their diet. It's better to take a bear eating berries.

You may not be aware that you can use a gut pile as bait. Colorado has a no bait law but doesn't consider a gut pile as bait as long as you don't move it from the kill spot. It makes no sense but that's how it is. I prefer to still hunt into a bear feeding on natural food. The goal is see him before he sees you. Not always easy to do.

Good luck with your cow hunt. 55 has a lot of them.

Would like to talk sometime about bear hunting. I've never hunted bear but would like to. You mentioned still hunting. I used to still hunt white tails in Oklahoma. I'd have to do a lot of research on bears before still hunting. But sounds fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Elk season was fun even though I didn't get one. Covered a lot of ground in great country. Deer season ends tomorrow, but I filled my permit today. First mule deer, and with a smokepole!

Did not hunt the western states this year, but have a lock on for a week on private property in Wyoming for next year for mule deer and antelope , if we draw tags. Hunted this place in 2019 for Antelope with great results seen a couple really nice Mule deer, that was a late season hunt for antelope and the deer season had closed the first day of our hunt. So come on 2021. Good hunting to all.

I haven’t been too lucky with the draw lately (Utah DWR really sucks in their wildlife administration). About the only thing I can draw is an IRS audit and my bath water!

Back