• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Draw hunts!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations. So far I have drawn my archery deer tag and will buy archery elk OTC. My "muzzle loading season" will be during the first rifle cow elk in the same unit that I'll be bow hunting in. The ML seasons have gotten so dang crowded that I've switched to hunting the first rifle season with ml.

What are your units?

Congrats on your tags!

Here in Tn. we have draw hunts for certain government owned lands.

I was lucky enough too get drawn last year for an early season bp hunt.

It was the first time I had applied for this hunt in years.....

But it paid off..

E3C98B61-9F69-493B-B4EA-1D33C596323B.png

All the so called big game hunts in Az. are draw hunts. I haven't been very successful for the last several years.

YEARS ago you could get a muzzle loader bull tag about every three years and you could put in for muzzleloader cow as a 3-4th choice and get it every year! Now its about every 5-6 years (min) for a cow and ya might as well put in for Power Ball as for bull! Ya can still hunt deer in most areas OTC in early archery season. Course it gets into the mid eightys in the high country then so you BEBTTER BE GOOD or ya tag a bloat!

Nice buck here in Maryland the draw hunts on state property are sorta easy to obtain but the problem is does only. You are very fortunate to be able to harvest a nice buck on a permit hunt.

OK OK I know it is an impossible dream. But with the 700 yard shooters and the muzzleloader bolt action gun powder scoped rifles, come the revolution, I will decree that all deer hunting be with traditional pre 1860 round ball rifles. Use the laser sighted laser rifle for bigger game. People learned how to load and shoot a modern rifle, they can learn with a front stuffer. It would be great for the economy.

Our draws are on June 15th so I don't know what I may have gotten.
Last year I drew a good tag in a NWR and killed a large-bodied 8 point. Most areas in Florida are by draw only and the better ones take about 3 years to get enough preference points for one of the good ones.

I applied for the Oklahoma draw hunts for elk, turkey and antelope. I didn't get picked for elk or Turkey. Haven't heard back about the antelope hunt yet so I still have a chance. Lol.

Congratulations on the draw tags for everyone. I got two tags, archery only in Kansas about two weeks back. One either sex and one antlerless. I like the archery due to the season is from Oct to Jan 15th. If you don't fill you tags in 2020, they covert to antlerless only and only in certain areas and you can hunt any weapon. I filled one tag with my Primitive Osage bow last year and then got to hunt this Jan for a doe with my flintlock. Took a nice 140 lb. doe.
I got all of my "Sorry, sucks to be you", confirmations back last week on Oklahoma tags. I get an archery tag for the McAlester Ammunition Depot about every third year for Traditional Archery, longbow, recurve or primitive self bows. I drew for the Oklahoma Elk in 2010, got a nice 6x5 bull. Drew the Antelope tag in 2008, took a doe around Guymon, OK. Now it special turkey tags and deer tags for me on the draw. I might just start putting in for Kentucky Elk. From what I hear, it's a pretty hard tag to draw. I have I think about 6 preference points for SW Colorado in unit 71 for muzzleloader where I hunt around Ground Hog Lake.
Good luck to everyone that draws.
Mike

I drew an either sex archery elk tag, rifle buck deer tag on first draw and have applied for a second draw rifle cow elk tag during our buck hunt. I will also put in for a doe deer tag, but not sure whether to go rifle or muzzleloader. I will alternate between my rifle and muzzleloader during the buck/cow elk hunt. I have never got an animal with my TC .54. Maybe this year. Fingers crossed.

Congrats on your tags!

Here in Tn. we have draw hunts for certain government owned lands.

I was lucky enough too get drawn last year for an early season bp hunt.

It was the first time I had applied for this hunt in years.....

But it paid off..

View attachment 33229
THAT is a nice buck, I don't care who you are... Love the gray coat.

My hunting buddy Jim and I once got drawn for a hunt on a government-owned island off the coast of Florida. Our permit was for one week only, deer and hogs only. We put in for the drawing for 3 or 4 years running before we got lucky so this was a big deal for us. On our second or third day of the hunt, we were crossing a
swampy area -- brackish water with hummocks of higher ground scattered around. We were leap-frogging from hummock to hummock, one stalking while the other watched, then turn about.
I was forward when Jim fired. I scanned the low ground for what he was shooting at but couldn't see anything moving. He was frantically ramming another load into his 1841 Rifled Musket, and I called over to him, "What did you shoot at?" "Hog!" shouted Jim. "Big boar." "Did you get him?" I asked. "NO!" yelled Jim, fumbling with a can of caps. Tracks showed us that the pig had left the area as fast as he could, rather than attacking while Jim was reloading. That's one of my most vivid memories of a draw hunt.

Waiting to see if I draw out another moose tag in the next few days,(fingers crossed).

I have been lucky, drew a moose tag some years ago and scored, also an Oryx and BP Elk tag in NM and scored on both, the only one drawn that I was unsuccessful on was an Ibex tag in NM

OK OK I know it is an impossible dream. But with the 700 yard shooters and the muzzleloader bolt action gun powder scoped rifles, come the revolution, I will decree that all deer hunting be with traditional pre 1860 round ball rifles. Use the laser sighted laser rifle for bigger game. People learned how to load and shoot a modern rifle, they can learn with a front stuffer. It would be great for the economy.
Agree!

Congratulations. So far I have drawn my archery deer tag and will buy archery elk OTC. My "muzzle loading season" will be during the first rifle cow elk in the same unit that I'll be bow hunting in. The ML seasons have gotten so dang crowded that I've switched to hunting the first rifle season with ml.

What are your units?
110 for deer, and 55 for elk.

Back