• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

draw filing barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've just spent 4-6 hours draw filing a 31" swamped barrel. This one looked great as delivered, but as I started draw filing, I noticed that it had "chatter" 4-5" from the breech, from the muzzle, and in the middle. As the file would move across, it would often ring like leaded crystal. Obvioulsy a harmonic, and all the way around the barrel in those 3 locations.

I've draw filed other barrels, swamped, straight, and even octagon-round, and different makes but never had one take this much time.

Is anyone else seeing this trend on swamped barrels?

No -- but I have not purchased any NEW barrels lately. GM barrels are made with a tougher steel than most but I've not had it happen with them either. Maybe it the way you are supporting the barrel? I don't think it is a matter of concern - my two cents:dunno::thumb:

I like to get a new high quality file for each barrel I have to draw file. A dull file makes for a dull day!

Latest posts

Back