• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Dragoon "wedge" tight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all. I have a Colt 2nd Generation Dragoon that is beautiful, but the wedge is an absolute BEAR to get out and thus taking the barrel/cylinder off after shooting it is a pain. Any ideas? I haven't shot it all that much maybe it will loosen some under fire? Thanks!

My Uberti version is similar, and I use the same plastic mallet on it that I use for opening the sprue plates on my molds when casting. Works quite well, both for popping it out and reseating it.

iu

2nd Gen Colts were produced as rough parts by Uberti (Italian) and finished by Colt stateside. Colt paid much more attention to the exterior finish than the internals. Uberti revolvers are notorious for having a poor arbor-to-arbor recess fit (to this day), wherein either the arbor is too short or the arbor recess is too long, or a combination of the two. Rather than get into a long discussion about this, suffice it to say that the barrel/cylinder gap should be changed by how far the wedge is inserted, and also how much pressure is needed to secure the barrel to the arbor in the initial state with no modifications.

It can be fixed if you have a bit of skill with hand tools and comprehension of the written word. Click on the link below and choose the 4 .pdf files concerning Uberti Open Top Revolvers and download them.

PettiFogger_Files directory listing (archive.org)

I have one also. The wedge on my Dragoon can draw the barrel up tight against the cylinder. Simply don't pound it is so far and tap it to extract as noted above.

This says it all as to my point. Tom, you need to refer to these files also. The barrel cylinder gap should not change no matter how far the wedge is driven in. If changed, you will need a feeler gauge to set the barrel/cylinder gap every time you reassemble the revolver.

Regards,

Jim

Thanks everyone! Some good tips. I have one of those mallets too so I will try that first probably. Its a PERFECT gun in every other regard, but this has truly been annoying me lol

2nd Gen Colts were produced as rough parts by Uberti (Italian) and finished by Colt stateside. Colt paid much more attention to the exterior finish than the internals. Uberti revolvers are notorious for having a poor arbor-to-arbor recess fit (to this day), wherein either the arbor is too short or the arbor recess is too long, or a combination of the two. Rather than get into a long discussion about this, suffice it to say that the barrel/cylinder gap should be changed by how far the wedge is inserted, and also how much pressure is needed to secure the barrel to the arbor in the initial state with no modifications.

It can be fixed if you have a bit of skill with hand tools and comprehension of the written word. Click on the link below and choose the 4 .pdf files concerning Uberti Open Top Revolvers and download them.

PettiFogger_Files directory listing (archive.org)

This says it all as to my point. Tom, you need to refer to these files also. The barrel cylinder gap should not change no matter how far the wedge is driven in. If changed, you will need a feeler gauge to set the barrel/cylinder gap every time you reassemble the revolver.

Regards,

Jim
Thank you, but its not that big a deal really. I set the wedge so there is minimal gap but the cylinder is free to turn and its been working fine.

This subject comes up with great regularity, follow Sourdoughs advice or have it done and you will need little more then your hands to remove the barrel on any Colt style pistol. My 1849, 1851, 1860, and 1862 replicas have all been adjusted to correct the arbor fit and each can be disassembled by hand, no tools, and function perfectly.

Latest posts

Back