• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dragoon shoulder holster

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello , I purchased a Uberti Dragoon recently and thinking it is to heavy to carry on the hip , has anyone made a shoulder style holster for one I have looked on internet to see if one could be found and I see nothing .
I am deciding on the bandolier style of carry strap but would like some input of pictures or plans before I start , below is the only picture I could find

Attachments

• BANDELARO.jpg
    BANDELARO.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 5
Well, yeah. It was a horse pistol commonly carried in a pommel holster. Uncle Mikes used to make a bandoleer holster that would probably handle a Dragoon revolver, but it won't look anything like period correct... but nothing else would either as bandoleer holsters were not in general use in the 1800's.

You could probably get a leather worker to make you one. A while back, somebody brought a hip holster into my store for a Walker, so such a thing is at least possible, if not practical.

Personally, I would just get an 1860 Army, which is much easier to carry and for which holsters are readily available. If you must carry the Dragoon, the bandoleer style is probably your best option.

Mattie Ross carried her daddy's Dragoon in a cloth sack ...
If I were to pack one of these, it would be in a holster on a belt supported like a Sam Brown, with strap over the opposite shoulder helping offset the weight. Such a rig should be reasonably comfortable.

Last edited:
I can carry it on the hip but it gets heavy of course after a while of walking and can get hung up on stuff like crawling over logs since holster is quite long , I was looking for a hunting carry option during muzzleloader season and I am right handed so interferes with rifle carry and can't afford another revolver to pricey these days

Having tried a dragoon in a shoulder holster, I recommend cross draw waist carry on a Sam Browne belt. The diagonal belt helps distribute the weight a little better without interfering with carrying a rifle.

Over 40 years ago I had a TC Contender unmentionable. I bought a Bianca shoulder holster for it. Great to carry. Traded them both off for what I don’t remember now. Anyway, that Bianca would fit a Dragoon fine if you could find one. Not sure they’re even in business anymore.

Over 40 years ago I had a TC Contender unmentionable. I bought a Bianca shoulder holster for it. Great to carry. Traded them both off for what I don’t remember now. Anyway, that Bianca would fit a Dragoon fine if you could find one. Not sure they’re even in business anymore.
I am rather fond of Large Revolvers. I have two cross draw custom holsters made by a local saddle maker. One for my Colt Walker Replica and my Colt 3rd Model Dragoon. I carried the Walker for years while muzzle loader Elk Hunting and the Dragoon for the the last several years while scouting fields. I am a man of stature and that helps but being a now senior man of stature has caused me to start to loose that advantage. The cross draw configuration allows you to ride a horse or ATV or even just sit down on a stump much easier because the long barrel pivots backward as you sit so it doesn't stob into your leg or where you are sitting.
Old Shepherd

I am rather fond of Large Revolvers. I have two cross draw custom holsters made by a local saddle maker. One for my Colt Walker Replica and my Colt 3rd Model Dragoon. I carried the Walker for years while muzzle loader Elk Hunting and the Dragoon for the the last several years while scouting fields. I am a man of stature and that helps but being a now senior man of stature has caused me to start to loose that advantage. The cross draw configuration allows you to ride a horse or ATV or even just sit down on a stump much easier because the long barrel pivots backward as you sit so it doesn't stob into your leg or where you are sitting.
Old Shepherd
Agree, I like a cross draw too.

I had one of those as well. Like you I sold both long ago. Kinda miss the Contender, but life goes on. Pretty sure Bianchi is still around, but that particular holster is no longer in their line.

I had one of those as well. Like you I sold both long ago. Kinda miss the Contender, but life goes on. Pretty sure Bianchi is still around, but that particular holster is no longer in their line.
You probably remember that was a very expensive holster back then. Over a $100 in 1980. I found one in a small town chain store called Howard’s, long defunct now. Anyway i didn’t have any extra money back then, I’d stop by that store when I was driving through for over 6 months and the holster just sat there. Don’t remember exactly what I finally offered, $40-$50, but they took it.

You probably remember that was a very expensive holster back then. Over a $100 in 1980. I found one in a small town chain store called Howard’s, long defunct now. Anyway i didn’t have any extra money back then, I’d stop by that store when I was driving through for over 6 months and the holster just sat there. Don’t remember exactly what I finally offered, $40-$50, but they took it.
Pretty sure I paid about $75.00 for mine in the late 1970's. As I was making $95.00/month payments on my new Ford Pinto back then, it will provide an illustration of just how much money that really was in those days. I kind of miss the Pinto as well, come to think of it.

IIRC, that would be an X-15 Extra Large. They were over $100 the last time I bought one, but a really good holster.

https://bianchileather.com/products/model-x15-vertical-shoulder-holster-19952

Latest posts

Back