• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Dragoon Grip frame

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently picked up a Uberti 3rd model Dragoon with the brass rear grip frame.

The rear grip frame wouldn't align at the lower end of the trigger grip frame leaving a fairly wide gap. I tried several different things to close the gap and ended up breaking the grip frame. It's pretty rugged and brittle stuff!

Any idea who might have a replacement Uberti grip frame? Where can I find one?

Thanks for your help!

I guess I found out they don't bend. I heated it up pretty hot, but that didn't seem to make a difference. Not much anyway. I'd gotten about half way there when I snapped off the two attachment points straddling the hammer. Not gonna be an easy fix. :-(

I'll try Taylors and Replica - thanks for that.

I was told by Wayne at Uberti that there is one at the distribution center, but they won't sell it to me, only a dealer.

Last edited:
Brass "heat treat" is opposite that of steel. Heating and then quenching (water) makes brass maliable. Brass will also "work harden" faster than steel.

Mike

Thanks for that Mike. :thumb:

Wish I'd known that sooner. Some lessons are more expensive than others. I had to reshape a T/C Hawken trigger guard and it wasn't to difficult. But this Uberti backstrap resisted incredible amounts of force.

VTI has a grip frame available, but there's one little problem. It's from the bin for the 1st and 2nd model Dragoons. The bin for the 3rd model Dragoon has been empty for ages. I asked why the 3rd has a separate bin - "no idea why". And they don't have any way of seeing if the earlier model strap works on the 3rd model.

So... I'm asking you guys: Will a 1st or 2nd model backstrap work on a 3rd?

Ist and 2nds have square back trigger guards, 3rds are round. Frames are the same except for Whitneyville, it's a leftover Walker frame.

Mike

Are you saying the rear grip frame is the same on all three models?

I've never quite figured out whether there are three or four Dragoon models. Is the first model Dragoon the Whitneyville, or is the Whitneyville a model BEFORE the 1st model Dragoon?

Whitneyville is a transition model. Colt did not throw anything away, he used all passable parts. The Whitneyville used the last of the Walker frames and grips, with the "new and improved" Dragoon cylinders, barrels and loading lever catches.

Yes, back strap should be the same on 1st, 2 me and 3rd. The Whitneyville/Walker will be different. The Whitneyville (called the Dragoon between the Dragoons) used the remaining Walker frames. First Mod. had modified frame to do away with cut out in the frame for the "nose" of the grip and along the way, lost the V mainspring for a flat spring. Second Mod. lost the oval cyl locking notches and the Third Mod. got a new loading leaver latch and a round trigger gaurd to replace the square one since the Walker. Some were cut for shoulder stocks.

Mike

I think I'm getting this all sorted out now. The Whitneyville sounds like a prelude to a Dragoon. Maybe a subheading precursor of the 1st Model Dragoon.

Anyway, thanks, Mike, for the data on the backstraps.

VTI and Taylors both have the backstraps, but the one at Taylors has the Stock Notch. What's a Stock Notch? It's the indent at the bottom of the grip where the optional shoulder stock grips it. Since my pistol isn't the army (or is it Cavalry?) model, which had the recoil shield cutouts for the stock, or the fourth screw, mine won't accept a shoulder stock. So the stock-notch definitely isn't needed. I went with the VTI backstrap which doesn't have the stock notch. Either would work, but figured it would be better replacing the exact item.

Lisa at VTI told me that Uberti discontinued the shoulder stock five or six years ago and has no intention of bringing it back. Are they available anywhere else?

Back