• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Dragoon/Bullets/Swiss fffg.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mec

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been shooting the Buffalo Bullets in .36 and .457(for Ruger Old Army) and have come to the conclusion that they are either as accurate as round ball or so close as to make no difference. they do hit several inches above the balls at reasonable ranges.

Today we ran some of the Ruger sized .457/ 190 gr bullets through a Uberti Dragoon. Load was 40 grains of Swiss fffg
dragbuffswiss.jpg

The bullet is oversized for the .450 chambers but I don't believe this hurts a thing. Doesn't with .457 Balls either.

I can just stuff a cast 200 grain Lee Conical into the chambers over this same 40 grain load (unless the mould has closed poorly and then, big trouble. The lees shoot 62 foot groups in th 2.5-4" range which is not bad for conicals in a percussion but nowhere near what you get with RB or the Buffalos. Velocity of the Lee bullet is interesting as it averages out at 1043 fps with energy in the high 400 foot pounds range.

Interestingly, the Dragoon will get 1221 fps with a .454 ball over 50 grains of Swiss. This is a bit higher than the 1188 I read off with the same volume of Pyrodex P and WAY higher than the same load of Goex fffg.

A lot of the loads I have been shooting through this Dragoon are getting velocities as high or higher than I can get with 60 grains in a Uberti Walker. This might change with some projectile experimenting but I believe they would still be very close together.

Kill it before it multiplies!
http://www.gunpix.com/gallery/Muzzleloaders_and_Blackpowder/Dragoonaol.jpg

I'm guessing that the Swiss powder is not hurting your accuracy much. It has made a noticeable difference for the better in all my BP firearms.

With the true-round nose, and that sharp shoulder, those Buffalo Bullets look like they would possess great whompability.

Rat

accuracy has been good with Swiss in several guns. The big thing though is the velocity increase over Goex. It often gets better velocity than Pyrodex P and H777. they all kind of play tag around the upper end of the scale.

I don't find it any cleaner than Goex-or any dirtier either but I like to wipe the barrel out every five rounds with any real black powder or pyrodex.

Swiss does seem to burn cleanest in my guns, With Goex I can fire my Brown Bess with a ball about three times, before wiping, with Swiss that goes up to about five-six.

With the rifles, I'd have to fire a lot of shots without wiping to find out, so never have. And of course only the best for Brown Rosie the Jaeger, so she's never tasted anything but Swiss!

Does your Uberti have deep rifling in the barrel? (where else would it be?) My Uberti Remington Navy has about the deepest rifling I've seen. She's laser accurate too. 1.5" at 20 yards with ffg Swiss, nice round group.

Rat

Measuring it is a bit beyond my caliper skills but it is sharp and deep.

Back