• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dovetail sight ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I do not know if this is the correct forum to ask, but I have a question on a dovetail rear sight on a Pedersoli rifle. Someone put the rear sight on backwards. Should not be a problem to just remove and replace correctly. My question is, should I remove from right to left, or left to right. Or does it matter?
1062DB85-75A3-4F60-8B55-B3D833061A0A.jpeg

I have always installed from right to left. Is that THE way is should be done? Take a look at the dovetail on the sight and see if there are any tell tale marks of which side it was installed from.

I'm pretty sure I always tap from the right and install from the right. All know fer sure is they go out on one side or ther tughter. :dunno:

There is much dispute about this issue, much variability across different guns, and much absolutely certain opinion, confidently expressed. I gather you didn't search on this forum for the topic or you might have encountered this:

Removing and installing a dovetail front sight

Still worth a read. There are others.
Yes I did read it, and was more confused for my effort.

I do not know if this is the correct forum to ask, but I have a question on a dovetail rear sight on a Pedersoli rifle. Someone put the rear sight on backwards. Should not be a problem to just remove and replace correctly. My question is, should I remove from right to left, or left to right. Or does it matter?
It doesn't matter what the rule may or may not be, because you don't know what rule the maker used. Just make sure the barrel is leather protected in a good solid vice. Visibly check to see if you can determine the best route to exit. Can't tell? Take a brass punch and start tapping in your best guessed direction. If that fails go the other direction. Just be careful!
Larry

Yes I did read it, and was more confused for my effort.
That's because in reality there's a lot of variability in dovetails and whether they're tapered or not, etc. And everyone tends to comment on that from the perspective of his own ideology, often not letting facts intrude. :rolleyes: There are other threads on other forums where you'll also see a lot of the variability mentioned. The take-away is that your dovetail is your dovetail, and may or may not be similar to someone else's dovetail on a similar or different gun.

The dovetails on the barrel are cut straight & the standard 3/8"(.375") dovetail can be cut from .359 to .365 in most cases. My dovetail cutter is .359" so I make two cuts to widen it to .365". That way I don't have to file so much on the sight insert to get it to fit. The sight insert dovetail is TAPERED and is usually around .360" on one end & around .375" or more on the other. It varies between makers. They are made so that one can file them to fit the barrel dovetail to get a proper fit & the taper is machined into them so that they go in from right to left. When oldwood said that "direction doesn't matter" he is 100% WRONG. If you don't believe me, look at the dovetail on a new sight insert and you can actually "see" the taper. If you try to drive a sight insert into a barrel dovetail without filing it to fit or drive it in from the wrong side you will discover reality very quickly. You NEVER file on the barrel dovetail, but rather file the sight insert dovetail to fit the barrel. I can't believe the lack of understanding for a "technology" that has been around for so long. Hope this helps someone from screwing up. If the sight on the Pedersoli was installed backwards, throw it away & start over as the dovetail on the insert is more than likely screwed up for going in the right direction.

Last edited:
The dovetails on the barrel are cut straight & the standard 3/8"(.375") dovetail can be cut from .359 to .365 in most cases. My dovetail cutter is .359" so I make two cuts to widen it to .365". That way I don't have to file so much on the sight insert to get it to fit. The sight insert dovetail is TAPERED and is usually around .360" on one end & around .375" or more on the other. It varies between makers. They are made so that one can file them to fit the barrel dovetail to get a proper fit & the taper is machined into them so that they go in from right to left. When oldwood said that "direction doesn't matter" he is 100% WRONG. If you don't believe me, look at the dovetail on a new sight insert and you can actually "see" the taper. If you try to drive a sight insert into a barrel dovetail without filing it to fit or drive it in from the wrong side you will discover reality very quickly. You NEVER file on the barrel dovetail, but rather file the sight insert dovetail to fit the barrel. I can't believe the lack of understanding for a "technology" that has been around for so long. Hope this helps someone from screwing up. If the sight on the Pedersoli was installed backwards, throw it away & start over as the dovetail on the insert is more than likely screwed up for going in the right direction.
said plainly what i tried to say.

When oldwood said that "direction doesn't matter" he is 100% WRONG. If you don't believe me, look at the dovetail on a new sight insert and you can actually "see" the taper. If you try to drive a sight insert into a barrel dovetail without filing it to fit or drive it in from the wrong side you will discover reality very quickly. You NEVER file on the barrel dovetail, but rather file the sight insert dovetail to fit the barrel. I can't believe the lack of understanding for a "technology" that has been around for so long.
Yes, your explanation makes perfect sense. But doesn't this account of the taper indicate that the only role of the taper is to make it easier to insert in the dove tail prior to driving it in with a punch? The sides of the barrel dovetail itself are parallel, and the sight should fit tightly in that parallel-sided dovetail without being tapered. I KNOW that I have sights that are NOT tapered and fit perfectly tightly in the dovetail, and of course can be finely adjusted with a punch. So why bother with that taper except to ease the initial insertion since it doesn't provide any necessary function in holding the sight firmly in the dovetail?

Yada, Yada, Yada,

What a bunch of discussion about such a minor thing, I am not sure any of the dovetails in any of my barrels are tapered, and I know the ones I filed in myself are only by mistake.

The only reason to push the sight in and out from the same side is that the (hopefully) softer sight will get sized a little by the harder barrel when it goes in for the first time. If you take it out the same way, it went in that's all the sizing that gets done.

If you take it out from the other side, now its sized all the way across.

I have measured factory dovetails many times and have failed to notice any difference across the slot.

Flame on guys

Yada, Yada, Yada,

What a bunch of discussion about such a minor thing, I am not sure any of the dovetails in any of my barrels are tapered, and I know the ones I filed in myself are only by mistake.

The only reason to push the sight in and out from the same side is that the (hopefully) softer sight will get sized a little by the harder barrel when it goes in for the first time. If you take it out the same way, it went in that's all the sizing that gets done.

If you take it out from the other side, now its sized all the way across.

I have measured factory dovetails many times and have failed to notice any difference across the slot.

Flame on guys
The BARREL dovetail is NOT tapered. ALL currently manufactured SIGHT INSERT dovetails have a taper & are made to go in from right to left & have been made that way for as long as I have been cutting dovetails in guns & installing sights. Why do you think the OP's sight is facing backwards? It's because it was put in from left to right (backwards) & the narrower end of the taper was the only way it would start into the barrel dovetail. Thus the sight itself is BACKWARDS! That's why direction matters. Maybe you should pay closer attention to what you are measuring & how the manufacturers are doing things before all the "Yada, yada, yada".

I disagree and your entitled to your opinion. Most of the sights I have bought in the last few years needed some filing on them before they would start in the dovetails so any taper was put in by me.

No reason to get all wrapped up around the axle over such a minor issue. Do it any way that works for you.

I do not know if this is the correct forum to ask, but I have a question on a dovetail rear sight on a Pedersoli rifle. Someone put the rear sight on backwards. Should not be a problem to just remove and replace correctly. My question is, should I remove from right to left, or left to right. Or does it matter?View attachment 139166
Just a heads up to the OP. Beings your sight was installed backwards, it will be easier to drive it out to the left so you aren't fighting the taper. Then install it properly from the right side.

ALL currently manufactured SIGHT INSERT dovetails have a taper & are made to go in from right to left ...
You've said this before, and I've pointed out specific examples where it's not true -- specifically in this thread. One of them now graces the front of my Traditions Crockett rifle. But never mind that, and I know that tapered sight bases as you describe them have been commonly used throughout the history of dovetail sights.

What I'm curious about is why you (and others) taper the sight base as you do. I'm not offering any criticism of this, and I'm not saying you shouldn't do it.

But I do wonder what you feel you gain from doing it since a correctly dimensioned and parallel-sided sight base for a given parallel-sided dovetail, will fit more than snugly enough to allow for easy adjustment by drifting in either direction while not risking any movement of the sight in the dovetail under any conditions other than being hit directly as in the case of drifting it for adjustment.

So what do you feel you (and others) gain from tapering the sight base as you do? The only advantage I can see is that it eases insertion of the base in the dovetail -- and I do "chamfer" the ends of the base to accomplish this. But that's different from tapering the base along its entire length from side to side. Just really curious about why this is done.

Or can someone else answer this question for me? Why was this "tapering" practice ever adopted?

Last edited:
You've said this before, and I've pointed out specific examples where it's not true -- specifically in this thread. One of them now graces the front of my Traditions Crockett rifle. But never mind that, and I know that tapered sight bases as you describe them have been commonly used throughout the history of dovetail sights.

What I'm curious about is why you (and others) taper the sight base as you do. I'm not offering any criticism of this, and I'm not saying you shouldn't do it.

But I do wonder what you feel you gain from doing it since a correctly dimensioned and parallel-sided sight base for a given parallel-sided dovetail, will fit more than snugly enough to allow for easy adjustment by drifting in either direction while not risking any movement of the sight in the dovetail under any conditions other than being hit directly as in the case of drifting it for adjustment.

So what do you feel you (and others) gain from tapering the sight base as you do? The only advantage I can see is that it eases insertion of the base in the dovetail -- and I do "chamfer" the ends of the base to accomplish this. But that's different from tapering the base along its entire length from side to side. Just really curious about why this is done.

Or can someone else answer this question for me? Why was this "tapering" practice ever adopted?

And if its tapered and you drive it in to far, is it now loose when you tap it back?

Back