• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Dove Season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flint50

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Just finished polishing up the ol' 12ga SXS, dove season starts here Sept 1st (grouse too).
Anyone else hunt doves with a smoothbore?
Any fovorite dove recipies?

I'll be going Saturday 9/3 & Monday 9/4 with a .12ga Navy Arms SxS BP smoothbore...80grns 2F with 1+1/4oz #7.5's...never liked the taste of doves, give them all away...

Oh yes, I will be out hunting them! I won't know till the night before which gun will be the first gun. It depends on the weather which SxS muzzleloader I take out, but I bet it will be the old 14ga. I have not found the right way to cook them yet either, but I keep looking. I don't waste them, but I have found better eating also.Yes, any good and simple recipies would be GREAT!

For doves, sure do, w/ a 10 ga. SXS, (i drop the load quit a bit, works fine). Funny, last year I was hunting a public field on opening day (dove season). I began to notice that when I shot, others in the field were watching me. They were very intrigued by the cannon like sound and all of the smoke. Over the course of the day, some of the other hunters wandered over and asked to look at, or even shoot it. I may have converted one or two, who knows, I might not be the only smoke pole in the field opening day this year!

Hunted them for a few years with my Navy Arms double barrel .12 ga, but don't figure i will this year. Since we moved over here on the west side, i haven't seen hardly any doves.

Michigan no longer has a dove season, thanks to PETA freaks.......... ::
However, as it stands right now, I am planning on taking my trade musket on it's first hunting trip the opening day of duck season......wish me luck!

I use my chicken & rice recipe and
substitute the dove breasts for the
yard bird.

Other than that , any crock pot recipe should work just fine.

Trick is to get the chewy-ness just right

Keep shootin - keep eating - keep shootin ...........

1/3 sliver of jalapena(no seeds) inside the breast(under breastbone) then wrapped in bacon, you pick flavoring and bake till bacon is fully cooked.
Serve with dirty rice and some cornbread or bisquits and your in bizness. :thumbsup:

I like to put salt and pepper on them and bake them in a pan of cream of celery soup until tender. Serve over rice

I marinate dove breasts wrapped in bacon overnight in Italian salad dressing. Cook on a gas grill for about 15 minutes. My kids used to take them in their school lunches. Their friends got to taste wild game for the first time. This year I will be using my Brian Turner fowler for the first time.

Joel Lehman

I still like mom's recipe. She made up a batch of cornbread dressing and just pushed the dove breast into the dressing until it was just barely covered.
When the dressing is done so is the dove.
Jim

My favorite's are dove's and rice just add a little extra bacon and Tabasco sause..and also smother fried.
Dove shoots are a thing of the past around here...I sure do miss them too. I cut my teeth on doves far as shooting goes..when about 9 or 10yrs. old, would tag along behind my dad and his bird dogs never cutting a feather with the quail, but on occasions he would knock off a little early with the quail and we would go to a cotton patch and shoot doves coming in to roost. I usually could hit a couple or three of them.

Filled the shot snake with #8's and topped off the powder flask last night. We will see if I can swing the Ol' Pedersoli fast enough to get a few of the little buggers Thursday morning. I like to fry up a couple or three strips of bacon, brown the plucked carcasses in the hot grease and then throw in some sliced onion and pour a cup or two of white zin over the top. Cover the fry pan and hot simmer for about 30 minutes.

Back