• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dove season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Any of you’lget out after doves? Mississippi’s season opened this weekend. First time with m Caywood chiefs gun. Really enjoyed it. Wondering if any of you’ll went out. I gotta get where I can post pics.

I used a Pedersoli 19 gauge SxS percussion to knock down a few. 80 grain FFFg and with card wad and fiber wad, then same volume #7 shot with over shot card. I seem to do just as well as anyone else except I can't always see if I hit the bird due to smoke.

I can't always see if I hit the bird due to smoke.

You hunt with a dog? I can see it being time consuming search for a small bird that may or may not be down? :surrender:

Ive been twice in my life and never saw one. Not worth the gas $$ to me :idunno: Maybe if a mentor that knew what they were doing (unlike the past two times) showed me the ropes I would get into it a bit :hmm:

Years ago I would go with a friend to his dove lease. He warned me about one guy who was the lease "know everything".

I was sitting on a small pond and enjoying the aafternoon and I see him coming. When he arrived I was enjoying a beer. He said we do not allow drinking while hunting, I said I have my limit and I am finished for the day thus it is time for a beer.

He said huh, a limit already.

He asked if I loaded my own shells and I said yes. He said you are definitely doing something wrong and I asked him why. He said shotguns are not supposed to smoke like that when you shoot.

Told him it was a black powder shotgun and they smoke when you shoot.

He looked at me and wandered on off.

Season opened here on the first. Hunted with my 16 ga. fowler the first day, and my 20 ga. English double the second. Hot and Rain, both days, and the birds just were not there. Got one bird the first day and two the second. Only shot eleven times, and got three birds. I consider that good for me. The other guys in the field with them new suppository guns went thru boxes of shells for as many.

CA9C5A0D-1A58-41FA-B38D-FA3E71D02D77.jpeg

Back