• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Doug Scott, in Memorium

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zane Scott

32 Cal
Reaction score
I am new here so please tell me if this should be elsewhere

My grandfather, Douglas Scott worked in the St. Louis Hawken shop, shot for competitions, hunting, and sport, and built some guns independently. (in St. Louis, although during the early to mid 70s he did live in Arizona)
He died about 3-4 weeks prior to this post.

His last day was one of joy and was the happiest Ive ever seen him. He was finally released from a hospital into an assisted living facility and he enjoyed having people to talk to and nurses to take care of him. He died his first night in the facility.

If anyone on this forum knew him or owns or owned any guns he made, you are welcome to share stories or talk about the gun(s).

I joined the Gemmer ML club about a year and a half ago and am part of the Tuesday night gang. Doug was an easy to get to know kind of guy. Pretty quiet with a quick, knowing smile. He was very interested and helpful when I started freshing old original barrrls. He had a lot of knowledge and was happy to share it. I bought a few parts from him which he offered at very low price including a Hawken guard he fabricated himself. He shared how hard life had been for him since his wife died and how much weight he had lost but lately he had a “new girlfriend “. He was proud that she bought him a watch. He shuffled but I never thought he’d pass away anytime soon. He was really loved by the guys who knew him well in his ML club.

I joined the Gemmer ML club about a year and a half ago and am part of the Tuesday night gang. Doug was an easy to get to know kind of guy. Pretty quiet with a quick, knowing smile. He was very interested and helpful when I started freshing old original barrrls. He had a lot of knowledge and was happy to share it. I bought a few parts from him which he offered at very low price including a Hawken guard he fabricated himself. He shared how hard life had been for him since his wife died and how much weight he had lost but lately he had a “new girlfriend “. He was proud that she bought him a watch. He shuffled but I never thought he’d pass away anytime soon. He was really loved by the guys who knew him well in his ML club.
Thank you for sharing, although Loupe or Lupe said they were just friends, he definently thought more. It was quite sudden and very surprising, as everyone in his family lived to their late 90s, but the weight loss probably caused it. If you or anyone know the location of "Coondick" your help would be appreciated.

I think Doug had "Coondick" at Bob's house. Last Tuesday, Bob said he had returned the rifle to Mike.

That rifle had quite a history. It was used for many years at the Over The Log matches around Ste. Genevieve. It became too heavy for use. It was one of those that had dovetails for sights on several flats as the breech became too pitted to retain accuracy and the rifle was rebreeched. When Doug first acquired the rifle it had a coondick in the patchbox, hence the name.

I have been a member of the Gemmer Muzzle Loading Gun Club for many years. Doug was always willing to mentor newcomers to the club. He had many stories to tell of shooting in competition from local matches at the Gemmer Club to table shoots at the Tavern in Bloomsdale to National matches at Friendship. I seem to recall that he held several long range records at the national level.

Doug was quite a source of knowledge in helping me with getting my Derringer flintlock rifle set up for reliable operation. He helped me to lay out my trigger on my 1803 Harper's Ferry rifle.

Doug would often take over some of the shaping of a stock at Bob's so that we were approaching the correct architecture for our rifle builds. He will be missed.

I met Doug in the early !980's when he moved to Tempe,AZ for a few years. He shot with us at the Rio Salado Sportsman's Club. Our black powder group was and still is the Muzzlestuffers from Mesa, AZ. If I remember correctly, Doug always shot a .36 cal. Flintlock and won many matches during his time in AZ. I think I still have a copy of the 1982 or 1983 AZ State Championship matches with Doug listed as one of the organizers to contact for information. He helped me reshape two of my Hawken rifles I made from Sharon barrels and Ron Long locks. He was very helpful to everyone that asked. I was fortunate to live only three miles from Doug in south Tempe, AZ

My grandfather, Douglas Scott worked in the St. Louis Hawken shop, shot for competitions, hunting, and sport, and built some guns independently. (in St. Louis, although during the early to mid 70s he did live in Arizona)

His last day was one of joy and was the happiest Ive ever seen him. He was finally released from a hospital into an assisted living facility and he enjoyed having people to talk to and nurses to take care of him. He died his first night in the facility.

If anyone on this forum knew him or owns or owned any guns he made, you are welcome to share stories or talk about the gun(s).
I think that your grandfather worked with my dad or knew him somehow through dads workplace at Monsanto in St. Peters, MO back in the 70's. I bought an underhammer muzzleloader kit from one of dad's coworkers in about 1974 and have not been able to remember the persons name. I killed my first and numerous other deer with that gun.
I came across the name, Doug Scott, in some information about Hawken guns today and it sounds familiar. I couldn't recall the co workers name and my dad has been gone now 7+ years so I can't ask him. The co worker, Doug I'm quite sure, invited me and my new gun to a winter shoot at Gemmer ML Club in S St Louis. I also recall that the co worker was moving/moved to Arizona sometime soon after. He was a good guy, very helpful in getting started with ML guns. I'm sure you miss him.
Thanks for letting me share.

I think that your grandfather worked with my dad or knew him somehow through dads workplace at Monsanto in St. Peters, MO back in the 70's. I bought an underhammer muzzleloader kit from one of dad's coworkers in about 1974 and have not been able to remember the persons name. I killed my first and numerous other deer with that gun.
I came across the name, Doug Scott, in some information about Hawken guns today and it sounds familiar. I couldn't recall the co workers name and my dad has been gone now 7+ years so I can't ask him. The co worker, Doug Scott I'm quite sure, invited me and my new gun to a winter shoot at Gemmer ML Club in S St Louis. I also recall that the co worker was moving/moved to Arizona sometime soon after. He was a good guy, very helpful in getting started with ML guns. I'm sure you miss him.
Thanks for letting me share.

Back