Double sxs 12 gauge shotgun, cap or flint

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Reaction score
Hey Fellas anyone got any documentation of 12 gauge double sxs shotgun s

caplickor flintlock in use during Rocky Mountain Fur Trade Period? My new used double
017EEED3-C959-4555-BAEE-B7BFE808FA2D.jpeg

Reaction score
Mountain Men and Fur Trade Vol 2, page 269 [1832]
Pike has left an interesting account of the small group which he headed… All were well supplied with ammunition. In addition to their rifles, they all had pistols except Irwin, who had a double-barreled English fowling piece.

Reaction score
@08Desert Trapper I've got another reference for you.

The Snake Country Expedition of 1830-1831 John Work’s Field Journal page 96
"had not Soteaux’ double barrel gun been seized"

John Work was one of the Hudson's Bay Company brigade leaders tasked by Governor George Simpson to trap out the Snake Country (Idaho) in hopes of stopping America from settling the Pacific Northwest.

Reaction score
Mountain Men and Fur Trade Vol 2, page 269 [1832]
Pike has left an interesting account of the small group which he headed… All were well supplied with ammunition. In addition to their rifles, they all had pistols except Irwin, who had a double-barreled English fowling piece.
Just curious where in Alaska , my brother was stationed up there 3 times with Coast Guard

I spent a wonderful week fishing slews near Petersburg Alaska summer of 1995

Reaction score
I'm on the Kenai Peninsula near Soldotna. I've been to Petersburg a couple of times but never fished down there.
What do you do to keep your flintlock lock Dry?

Y’all get lots of wet weather up there

my brother told me if I ever come up to Hunt

I have to use a modern gun he didn’t want me to die out there because of a wet flintlock!!!

Reaction score
What do you do to keep your flintlock lock Dry?

Y’all get lots of wet weather up there

my brother told me if I ever come up to Hunt

I have to use a modern gun he didn’t want me to die out there because of a wet flintlock!!!
The area in Alaska known as Southeast, which includes Petersburg, Ketchikan, Juneau etc (the area of Alaska adjacent to British Columbia) is a rainforest, getting something like 12 feet of rain a year. So yea a flintlock would usually be problematic.

I live on the Kenai Peninsula in the area known as Southcentral. We get about 22" of rain a year. So a flintlock up here is fine.

Mtman725

The Last Best place, MT
Reaction score
Woked western AK, Bristol bay , Kuskokwim fish guiding for many years.Have friends out in Soldotna. Not the AK I remember. Nice S X S, I just finished the Mountain Men By George Laycock, he says in his research that they each brigade had them for guarding the horse, and the Indians like them. You could use anything as shot.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you officer such a nice replies I survive Covid really bad headaches and Khols but I can’t seem to shake my cough never drank a lot never smoked a lot but years of living in outside as a modern day service number and years of reenacting I got a watch my upper respiratory system trying to get out today and Du Will shooting with my lady also going to a great thing here on the East Coast is called a Fort Frederick trade fair if you never been you need to come by the dude from Hawaii and Alaska yesterday I came just for the Fort Frederick trade fair

Thank you officer such a nice replies I survive Covid really bad headaches and Khols but I can’t seem to shake my cough never drank a lot never smoked a lot but years of living in outside as a modern day service number and years of reenacting I got a watch my upper respiratory system trying to get out today and Du Will shooting with my lady also going to a great thing here on the East Coast is called a Fort Frederick trade fair if you never been you need to come by the dude from Hawaii and Alaska yesterday I came just for the Fort Frederick trade fair trade fair

God bless you all keep your Bible close and your fire locks closer

Reaction score
@08Desert Trapper I have yet another one for you from a book I just finished.

Adventures on the Columbia River by Ross Cox page 73. "...upon which two of his companions bent their bows. But before their arrows had time to wing their flight, McDonald’s double-barreled gun stopped them. He shot one between the eyes. The ball from the second lodged in the shoulder of the survivor."

Reaction score
God bless you and pass the buckshot ammo!!!

Thank you so much my Alaska brother, it’s funny all these graybeards in a certain group but I will not mention

they had a problem when I showed up at the smoothbore Woods walk , with a double barrel shotgun

and they said I can only be allowed to load one barrel

I said OK so understand you want to do the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association Rules
So tell something , does that make us real mountain men
If we only follow NMLR a regulations

And then I added the NNLRA was not around you and The Rock down for trade and I don’t know what the hell they’re talking about

Just to prove a point I use one barrel he’s one girl the first target next bro the other target so both barrels got used throughout the woods walk and I still placed third

boys that start off a discussion that still being talked about today

Reaction score
Well take that Blackfeet

I got Buck n ball for you next time !!!

you take on Charlton Heston Brian Keith !!!

always wish I could’ve been the movie but when that movie came out I think I was like 10