• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Double set trigger problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cornbread50

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have a Traditions Hawkens woodsman. Out of the box the triggers worked fine, after about 50 shots the trigger pull has gotten heavier and heavier. I've adjusted both set screws per the manual, loosened the 2 bolts that holds the lock plate on, cleaned and oiled the lock and sear springs, cleaned and oiled the trigger mechanism but nothing has worked. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Buy a better rifle! :) A set trigger should work the same for years, if you’re handy disassembled the triggers and confirm the steel is hard then stone the engaging surfaces.

Some Spanish lock parts are manure. So are some modern unmentionable triggers, sears, etc.

You may have worn through the case hardening portion of the parts. Now you have soft metal hanging up on soft metal.

Contact Traditions. See if they'll replace your parts.

Do what @Phil Coffins said. You also need to isolate where the problem lies. Take your trigger assembly out and see how the trigger pull feels. If it’s hard, you know the problem is there. If the set trigger engages properly and the front trigger feels good, you need to examine your lock and sear. Every part that touches another part will benefit from honing and polishing.

If you isolate the problem, post some photos of the problem area.

You might also remove the triggers and check their function out of the stock for any debris or friction between the triggers. Then check the inletting. A small wood burr can affect trigger performance.

Will do, thanks. That's kinda what I was thinking the problem is. With the lock off the sear is really hard to move by hand.

Now @Cornbread50 needs to find out what is binding in the lock. Since the sear is hard to move, it may be rubbing inside the lock mortise. Either remove a bit of wood where the sear is rubbing or shorten the tip of the sear lever a little bit. Don't remove so much that the trigger lever is missing the sear.

There is an adjustment screw in the tumbler of that lock.
The screw adjusts how far the sear engages the tumbler notches and is notorious for coming out of adjustment.
(I'm convinced there is a Gremlin that does it!)
You have to take the lock out to access and adjust it.
Take the barrel out first and note that the ramrod retention spring is held in with the front lock bolt, there is a window in the lock channel to see it, just take note of it's position so you can re-install it properly.
I de-grease the lock and add a little clear nail polish to that screw when I adjust it. Once you have it in the place you want the nail polish dries and acts like a loc-tite to help hold it in place

Thank you. I did see the screw in the tumbler but I didn't just want to start making adjustments to things I didn't know what they were for.

I am not familiar with Traditions hardware but if you have isolated the problem to the lock, you might disassemble the lock and polish all the bearing surfaces. Many factory locks seem to rely on spring pressure and internal component parts are not really well polished/tuned. Graphite grease makes a good internal lube.

Thank you. I did see the screw in the tumbler but I didn't just want to start making adjustments to things I didn't know what they were for.
That screw tension could very well be your problem. But be careful when making your final adjustment. You can get carried away and get the sear where it will trip by just breathing on it. Not a safe situation. So screw it in until you have a decent sear release and stop.

Adjusting the screw in the tumbler has helped a lot, I just don't want to back it out too much. Now the rear trigger won't move forward when I pull the hammer back. When it gets to half cock I have to manually move it forward. Oh joy...

Is it hard to pull when set or hard to pull unset on the front trigger?

The sear arm being difficult to release with the lock out of the rifle can be a perception thing. It may be as it should be.

I suggest as above. First, remove the lock and operate the trigger ( this is for the set mode mainly but also operate in unset). If it feels okay, remove the triggers and try it out of the gun and see what happens.

Now this I'm not sure of, but these triggers had in the CVA version a trigger pull adjustment screw inside the lock.

Like some have said check the lock mortise and functioning of all components inividually. I had issues before from a tang screw I had tightened a bit too much after reassembling a barrel and lock into the stock.

Back