• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Double-patched Ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

segner05

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am shooting a .54 GPR that my wife bought me almost three years ago. I have found a good load of 80 gr FFFg under a .530" ball with a patch made of an old flannel shirt measuring about .014" using my digital calipers. After shooting for a while, I am running low on this material. I do, however, have some "fake" (read printed) 100% cotton pillow ticking from a fabric store. This material measures on the average .007". Double this and you get the correct thickness prefered by my rifle.
My question is...will doubling the material up work for patches, or do I need to continue my quest for material of correct thickness?

Thanks, Craig

seg05 said:
I am shooting a .54 GPR that my wife bought me almost three years ago. I have found a good load of 80 gr FFFg under a .530" ball with a patch made of an old flannel shirt measuring about .014" using my digital calipers. After shooting for a while, I am running low on this material. I do, however, have some "fake" (read printed) 100% cotton pillow ticking from a fabric store. This material measures on the average .007". Double this and you get the correct thickness prefered by my rifle.
My question is...will doubling the material up work for patches, or do I need to continue my quest for material of correct thickness?

Thanks, Craig

I've experimented with doubling patch thickness...ie: two .010"s to test using .020"...two .010"s + .005" to test using .025, etc...and they "worked"...so your folded .007" should "work".

But, IMO, given what I believe to be the importance of good quality patch consistency, if it was me, I'd got back to the fabric store and buy a couple yards of good quality .015" patch material, wash and dry it well, and go forward from there with a repeatable supply...or buy some precuts like Oxyoke, etc

Taking it to the extreme, would you use 15 layers of .001 rice paper because it "works"? Probably not, because it's too thin, and weak.
I think .007 would be a little weak. It may tear or stretch and do things you don't want. I can't imagine it would hold much lube either.
A couple of dollars will probably provide a years worth of shooting patches for you.
And it's a rite-of-passage to go to the fabric store with your calipers on your quest and endure the quizical looks from the shopkeeper. That's what Daniel Boone's first longhunt actually was about. He went west looking for a good fabric store. No kidding, check Snopes!

roundball touched on the idea,
One of the troubles with any old clothing or linens is the stuff doesn't wear out evenly.
I mean you could have good consistant fabric on the sleeves and bottom parts, but you start using the stuff across the shoulders and it's a might thinner.

Got a chuckle out of this;
"And it's a rite-of-passage to go to the fabric store with your calipers"

Ahh but it's so true. :haha: Kinda like getting enough courage up to ask out a Gal for the first time. But it's something we all hafta do sooner or later.

(course I never had to do that,,they all came after me, in droves) :haha:

necchi said:
One of the troubles with any old clothing or linens is the stuff doesn't wear out evenly.
I mean you could have good consistant fabric on the sleeves and bottom parts, but you start using the stuff across the shoulders and it's a might thinner.

Yes...every old flannel / cotton shirt, T-shirt, the better half's PJs or nightgowns make excellent cleaning patches and are good ways to economize.
But when it come to the fundamentals of muzzleloading which affect accuracy like shooting patches, IMO they need to be as right sized and consistent from shot-to-shot as possible.

Many years ago I experimented with using double patches in A Dixie Mountain rifle. With a single thick patch I was shooting a little under a 3 inch group at 100 yds off the bench and open sights. With double patches, my group opened up to about 5 inches. I never experimented with trying different thicknesses of double patching,

I bring my calipiers to the fabric store when buying patch material, the ladies there don't even ask anymore. got some strange looks at first. Being a man in the fabric department and then they see me with my calipiers measuring the fabric...

Thanks for all of the information guys. I'll head back to the fabric store this weekend with my calipers. They didn'thave any real pillow ticking, but I'll ask for some pocket drill or something similar.

Thanks again,

Craig

necchi said:
roundball touched on the idea,

Got a chuckle out of this;
"And it's a rite-of-passage to go to the fabric store with your calipers"

Ahh but it's so true. :haha: Kinda like getting enough courage up to ask out a Gal for the first time. But it's something we all hafta do sooner or later.

(course I never had to do that,,they all came after me, in droves) :haha:

Hey! Are YOU bragging or complaining?? :rotf: :haha: :shocked2: :applause: :) :grin: :thumbsup:

My god man! If women were to ever read and heed that advice, I would never have a date again! Bill

Back