• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Double ended rod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuncNZ

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I watch guys shooting using the rod on the rifle , they pull it out , wave it about and finally get the ramming end into the muzzle , ram the ball home, remove the rod then wave it about again finally getting it into the ramrod pipes and seated home . If the rod is close to bore size it is easier to have brass fittings on each end , when the rod is withdrawn ,it is grabbed by the hand at the bottom , no turning/waving needed , the ball is rammed and the rod withdrawn and replaced in the pipes no waving required . The fitting on the ramming end can be a cupped ramrod end and the fitting on the other end can be a covered screw for patch or ball pulling . I have one rifle where that works , all the others are tapered rods or have big heads .

Yeah, it does seem like, unless you have a fairly stout ramrod, and you have custom inlet your ramrod channel for it to fit, you won’t have a large enough end in the channel to seat the charge without flipping it.

If you hunt in thick rain forest ( Jungle), as I do ,and you need to reload in a hurry , , turning a rod to get the tip down the barrel , and replacing it can be a problem , with the rod catching on overhead branches and other plant life .

I bought a rifle from a friend (he had built) and it has a cupped and threaded end on both ends of the ramrod. I think it's a great idea, no flipping. I don't know if it allowed me to get off a few extra rounds in the cut-the-stake team event but I would like to think it did.

At the range I use a range rod. For guns I build I put a tip matching the furniture threaded 10-32 on one end of the rod and one of a different color threaded 8-32 on the other end.

Latest posts

Back